Who's Home

One of Clegg's earliest houses, the one shown at the very end of "A Small Tune On A Penny Wassail".

It's number 1 St Anne's Square and is currently a holiday let called "Shelduck Cottage". http://www.cottages.com/cottages/shelduck-cottage-ukc848. To get there, you go up Daisy Lane almost to Daisy Lane Books, and turn left just before reaching the bookstore. It's up a cobbled slope, but not too steep, and the door to the lower ground floor opens straight into a dine-in kitchen, utility room, laundry, etc. It's only a couple of steps up from the street to the doorway. Once inside, there are two more floors with steep stairs, but if one owned it, it might be possible to add stair lifts to adapt the house for aging in place.

The location is ideal, just a few steps from the town center and the bus station, but far enough from the busy road to be quiet.

Last edited:
I would choose Nora and Wally's flat. It is close to the downtown and all the pubs.

We never saw much of Sid and Ivy's house. In one episode, I believe they were sleeping above the Cafe, yet in another, it was used as a banquet room for the men's club.

What an interesting thread, good find Barrychuckle. Dream Acres is lovely but would probably cost a fortune to heat!
For me it would have to be Cleggy's Hill Street house.

One of Clegg's earliest houses, the one shown at the very end of "A Small Tune On A Penny Wassail".

It's number 1 St Anne's Square and is currently a holiday let called "Shelduck Cottage". http://www.cottages.com/cottages/shelduck-cottage-ukc848. To get there, you go up Daisy Lane almost to Daisy Lane Books, and turn left just before reaching the bookstore. It's up a cobbled slope, but not too steep, and the door to the lower ground floor opens straight into a dine-in kitchen, utility room, laundry, etc. It's only a couple of steps up from the street to the doorway. Once inside, there are two more floors with steep stairs, but if one owned it, it might be possible to add stair lifts to adapt the house for aging in place.

The location is ideal, just a few steps from the town center and the bus station, but far enough from the busy road to be quiet.
Appreciate this is an older post, but I really fancy going to stay at Cleggs old house here, it looks lovely, have you stayed here before Marianna?

Appreciate this is an older post, but I really fancy going to stay at Cleggs old house here, it looks lovely, have you stayed here before Marianna?
No, I haven't stayed in that house. I travel by myself, so holiday rentals that sleep multiple people are far too expensive. In the past, I've stayed at The Rooms at The Nook while visiting Holmfirth. The single rooms are on the top floor, and the stairs are a bit too much, so I've booked a single at the Old Bridge for my next visit. Only one flight up - 21 steps.

Back