Who says the final few series aren't funny???

Heavens!, I have just watched episode where Clegg wants to use the driving simulator when young lad is using it, He essentially threatens the lad who then runs off!, definitely not the Clegg we see later on, I think I prefer the more mellow Norman Clegg.

Heavens!, I have just watched episode where Clegg wants to use the driving simulator when young lad is using it, He essentially threatens the lad who then runs off!, definitely not the Clegg we see later on, I think I prefer the more mellow Norman Clegg.
Interesting fact, Alan J Bell produced the video of the road Clegg viewed. This was several years before he took over as Producer/Director!

Have I missed an episode of the early summer wine?, Mr Wainwright the head librarian and the object of his desires are no longer at the library, proving at least attempted infidelity did not start with Howard and Marina!

Have I missed an episode of the early summer wine?, Mr Wainwright the head librarian and the object of his desires are no longer at the library, proving at least attempted infidelity did not start with Howard and Marina!
He was in three episodes in series one and returned for two more in series three.

I've always said Hobbo grew on me and the more I watch those episodes the more I appreciate them. Our show had changed as it always has over the decades it was on. I know there's a few people out there who didn't watch after Compo died but they really did miss some cracking episodes. Summer Wine was a mainstay for over 3 Decades , No other show comes close to it. And in that time it was always funny and they maintained it even through many cast changes . The last series was hard to watch mainly because we knew it was the end. I miss the show terribly but having the entire series on DVD is a real tonic

I really liked the character Wesley Pegden; I could see a lot of myself in him. When Gordon Wharmby left the show, it more or less unraveled for me.

Oh shut up Seymour and eat your choc ice!
Totally agree. After Sid and Wally, Wesley was the perfect accomplice even if unwittingly for the main trio. Losing him was really the end of originality as most characters after that seemed to be retreads of older characters. It just wasn’t the same.

I was pleased to see that every now and then characters, who sadly had passed on in real life, were referred to. Nora has mentioned Wally, and Ivy has referenced Sid, it lends a nice touch, also when Truly and Clegg are setting out for Compos funeral, Pearl asks Clegg if he is OK , it shows a departure from her no nonsense image, and implies a caring side which she never always showed.

I was pleased to see that every now and then characters, who sadly had passed on in real life, were referred to. Nora has mentioned Wally, and Ivy has referenced Sid, it lends a nice touch, also when Truly and Clegg are setting out for Compos funeral, Pearl asks Clegg if he is OK , it shows a departure from her no nonsense image, and implies a caring side which she never always showed.
I really noticed that in Pearl, it really stuck out as it was so out of character for her. As you say a lovely touch. I remember when Alan Bell was paying tribute to Kathy Staff after her death he said Kathy really wanted some scenes where she could be softer but he always refused saying it would ruin her effect, I do a agree with Alan here.

From what I've heard Juliette who played Pearl was often just as fearsome in real life. Kathy on the other hand was supposed to be one of the most kindest and considerate people out of character. I think she lived out her Christian principles and I've never read anything but praise for her by all who she came into contact with.

I suppose it is testament to the quality of the acting in Summer Wine that I eventually forgot I was watching a person acting a role, and started to get swept up in the mildly silly but, nevertheless , entertaining plot lines. I read online about some of the difficulties behind the scenes due to differences of opinions or egos?, of some actors, I choose not to read anymore as I prefer to remember the charm of the programme, naive?, perhaps, but first and foremost they are human beings, and actors second.

I suppose it is testament to the quality of the acting in Summer Wine that I eventually forgot I was watching a person acting a role, and started to get swept up in the mildly silly but, nevertheless , entertaining plot lines. I read online about some of the difficulties behind the scenes due to differences of opinions or egos?, of some actors, I choose not to read anymore as I prefer to remember the charm of the programme, naive?, perhaps, but first and foremost they are human beings, and actors second.
If you want as close to the definitive guide to the series both in front and behind the scenes then I heartily recommend you read Andrew Vines book

Back