Where is this room?

Peripheral

Dedicated Member
In the episode 'From Wellies to Wet Suit', Nora is in what looks like a utility room. Through the window she sees Foggy, Clegg and Wally coming down some steps. They are followed by Compo in flippers to Jaws music. Where is that room? I don't know where it is.:rolleyes:

In the episode 'From Wellies to Wet Suit', Nora is in what looks like a utility room. Through the window she sees Foggy, Clegg and Wally coming down some steps. They are followed by Compo in flippers to Jaws music. Where is that room? I don't know where it is.:rolleyes:

It's a studio set up, as Nora does not have the basement room like Compo

She peeps through a window that's right by the steps, then we see a door a few feet away from the window. The outside shots of the house have never featured either a window, nor a door. It's artistic licence.

I am almost 100% certain I have been in that room. Think of Compo's entrance with the dodgy door. He had that exact view from his window. We went through part of the house on a Summer Wine museum tour. I am ancient so I could be wrong. I daren't go in museums anymore in case they keep me as an exhibit.:frown2:

There's a similar situation in the Café - There's a window in the kitchen on the side that supposedly looks out into the alley, but there's no window in exterior shots in the actual alley.

The other odd thing is that when they go down the steps Wally is first then Foggy, Clegg and then Compo but when Nora opens the door only Compo is there, the others have dissappeared.

The other odd thing is that when they go down the steps Wally is first then Foggy, Clegg and then Compo but when Nora opens the door only Compo is there, the others have dissappeared.

Agreed Roger, I believe this was mention some time back, they vanished into nowhere

There are episodes that show there are some stairs going down into the ground on the other side of a wall to the left (when looking at Compo and Nora's house. So I always interpreted that scene as meaning Nora and Wally had a room down there, which would have been adjacent to Compo's bottom floor. There are other episodes that suggest that is the case.

We all know a lot of artistic license was taken though. I doubt anyone involved in the production ever thought any of this through to make sure there was some consistency.

There are episodes that show there are some stairs going down into the ground on the other side of a wall to the left (when looking at Compo and Nora's house. So I always interpreted that scene as meaning Nora and Wally had a room down there, which would have been adjacent to Compo's bottom floor. There are other episodes that suggest that is the case.

We all know a lot of artistic license was taken though. I doubt anyone involved in the production ever thought any of this through to make sure there was some consistency.
"Down there" would be nearly against the old earth closet pit on Nora's side and right against the outer wall of the garage attached to the first cottage on Scarfold. Those steps are much narrower than the ones shown in the scene. Because the exterior looks identical to Compo's steps, I've always assumed that the scene was filmed combining the studio set of the utility room interior and greenscreen technology of the men walking down the steps.

Back