When do you take yours down?

barmpot

LOTSW Fanatic
Reaction score
I notice that the seasonal additions - snow, lights and smileys reflecting the Christmas season have gone. :( :( :(

However this prompts me to ask "when do you take yours down?"

I am a firm adherent to the twelfth night approach - however I know many remove them by the day after Boxing Day. When do you do it?

:-\ :-\ :-\

The 1st of January, it would be earlier if I had my way they drive me mad after a while

I am with you Minxie :) My wife did it that way so I've carried on the tradition. ;D

I only have the cards I receive on display and I usually gather them up on New Years Day. it all seems to go on for so long now a days ::)

Usually wait until the day after new years because I like the festivity. My husband on the other hand wants down the next day, but does he jump up to do ?NOOOOOOOO ::). This year, tree came down yesterday. just have a few totes to carry to basement.

Very much in the Twelfth Night tradition but unlike some am very late in putting everything up in the first place.

The twelfth night for me also. It always seems a bigger chore taking them down than putting them up.

Mine usually go up Xmas eve and come down the day after boxing day but to be honest I didn't bother this year at all.
My husband in a fit of defiance put some sting up for the cards but that's the only decs we had up.

Epiphany, January 6th, day after 12th night.

Wife is Episcopalian.

Mine usually go up Xmas eve and come down the day after boxing day but to be honest I didn't bother this year at all.
My husband in a fit of defiance put some sting up for the cards but that's the only decs we had up.
What is "boxing day"? ???

Nothing to do with fisticuffs Beth. :) Tradition says that the day after Christmas day was the time that the estate workers and servants of the big houses would receive a gift from their Master if they had worked well in the year. It may have been passed to them in a box, .....hence Boxing Day. :) I think I have that right , but someone will put me right if not. ;)

Thanks Dick. I had a feeling it had nothing to do with sports. :D I love hearing about the traditions there and how they started. :)

Nothing to do with fisticuffs Beth. :) Tradition says that the day after Christmas day was the time that the estate workers and servants of the big houses would receive a gift from their Master if they had worked well in the year. It may have been passed to them in a box, .....hence Boxing Day. :) I think I have that right , but someone will put me right if not. ;)

Quite correct - for the UK. For other countries, particularly the Irish Republic, it is St Stephen's Day.

Thanks Dick. I had a feeling it had nothing to do with sports. :D I love hearing about the traditions there and how they started. :)
It also comes from the days of sailing ships Beth, a priest would place a box on board a vessel and the sailors would drop coins in it during the voyage .On their safe return it would be given back to the priest who said a prayer of thanksgiving for a safe journey. Another box used the day after Christmas day was an Alms box or " poor" box which was opened by the priest and the money shared among the poor. :)

Quite correct - for the UK. For other countries, particularly the Irish Republic, it is St Stephen's Day.
Do the Irish have St Stephens day on the 26th or the 27th of December Unc ??

Back
Top Bottom