When did you prefer the theme tune?

D

DJWCFC

I've just started another run through of Last of the Summer Wine and I just thought which version of the theme tune from the show is better, is it the early one which seemed to be a bit quicker? Is it the movie versions from either 1983, 1986 or 1987? Is it the Seymour years one when it seemed to had gone a bit slower? Is it the 1990's version when it seemed at one stage it went very slow? Is it the 21st century one where it seemed at a decent pace? How about the one off version they did around 2006/2007 which was slightly different? What about the special version done in 2000 for Compo's funeral which is very moving or is it a version not done on television like the Mike Sammes version?
For me it's got to be the 1990's slow version, I really like that version but i do like it in the later series as well (not the slighty different version)

Interesting to note the BBC did not like Ronnie Hazlehurst`s theme initially, thinking it too mellow for a sitcom. I like the altered version used during 'Just a Small Funeral', played over some beautiful images of Holmfirth, it was very poignant.I read somewhere that Bill Owen wrote some different lyrics for the tune but they were never used in the series.

I don't know how I forgot that one John, but I do like that version as well even if at times it brings a tear to my eye, will add that one to the original post now

I prefer the slower version. I not only watch LOTSW for the great humor, but also for the stress relief it seems to provide. The slower tune seems even more calming, if that's possible.

I love the versions with lyrics from Getting Sam Home and Whoops.

I also like the ones used on the opening of Uncle of the Bride, and the closing of Elegy for Fallen Wellies and Just a Small Funeral where you can hear a choir humming along to the themes.

I like the extended theme in Uncle of the Bride.

I thought on some of the mid 90s episodes, the closing theme was a bit over the top. I think Ronnie Hazlehurst must have had a bigger budget and more musicians.

My favorite version of the LOTSW theme song was during the mid 1990's during Foggy's 2nd run on the show when they changed the ending. The end bit used to be a string orchestra giving way to a lone accordion playing a simple melody up until that point. After which, it was an accordion followed by what I think is a French horn. Plus, the pace of the song was significantly slower and flowed a lot better in later years. It allowed all the instruments in the song to really breathe and emphasize every note they played for maximum effect.

I prefer the slower version. I not only watch LOTSW for the great humor, but also for the stress relief it seems to provide. The slower tune seems even more calming, if that's possible.

I know exactly what you mean Ron because I feel the same, the slower tune is more calming and no matter how bad I feel if i hear the slower tune it makes me think all is ok with the world

I've just watched "The Man Who Nearly Knew Pavarotti" in my latest run through the dvds and I got to admit I love the theme used in the end credits, its such a lovely version, that episode was the first one I watched after the axing of the show and as soon as I heard that version it brought tears to my eyes just thinking of the show, even today it brought a tear to my eye hearing that version

Back