When did you prefer the incidental music?

wstol

Dedicated Member
Reaction score
Following on from the excellent thread about the changing theme music, I'm going to ask when did you prefer the incidental music? The incidental music is all the pieces of music used between the opening and closing theme.

The show has always had a more than generous amount of music. Some programmes would just have music between each scene, or when something exciting happens.

Early episodes had less music, yet still incorporated snatches of well known pieces of music to suit the situation. The early episodes sometimes had an obvious 70s twang to some of the music.

Later in the series, music seemed to play a more important. Music was used for everything at one time - there would be a special bit of music as Nora shakes her duster, or as Compo tiptoe's along. Clever in some ways, though possibly annoying in other ways?

Much later episodes made after the death of Ronnie Hazlehurst either relied on music from Nigel Hess, which didn't quite work; or recycled bits of Hazlehurst's work where the timing was clearly out of sync.

Your thoughts please.

I've always thought it funny when Auntie Wainwright was on the verge of sale, she would twiddle her fingertips together and they played little "tinkling" notes when she did it.
Also I liked how they played the Summer Wine theme tune in a different way that reminded you of something else. For example, when Seymore built his bicycle drill rig and Compo comes riding up, they're playing the Summer Wine theme, but it's played with brass and different tempo so it sounds like the theme from "Dallas". I've noticed this clever bit in other episodes also.

I happen to like the banjo music that always accompanies Eli as he walks by.

I remember the theme from Match of the day played during The Charity Balls, a lot of the incidental music was often very clever and very subtlety done.

I think one of the best pieces of music used was the 'fairytale' music used in Uncle of the Bride when Clegg is in the pub talking about the man with all the shirts.

This tune was also used to good effect in The Mysterious Feet of Nora Batty where Foggy is describing Nora Batty getting ready for bed to Wally.

Perfect tune, Ronnie Hazlehurst did use it before in other sitcoms, but it's best used here.

One thing I notice is that in the very first series the music is played quite a bit faster than in the later ones.
I think perhaps the tinkling bits are put in to emphasize the action ??

Back
Top Bottom