Well we all know how this ended

Am I reading the dates on there wrong? Looks like it was written Jan 20th of 2009 and Jay Hunt is referencing a Dec 29th of 2009 missive.

A quote from the Author of the letter published in the Daily Mirror 2nd June 2010

Jay Hunt, BBC1 controller, said today: "Last Of The Summer Wine has been part of BBC One for nearly 40 years. This wonderful final series is a fitting farewell to these much-loved characters and I am delighted some of the channel's other heritage brands will be helping to say goodbye in style."

Quite an eloquent way with the term Heritage Brands of basically saying they were binning what they considered long running tired and old hat shows like our beloved LOTSW. As controller she would have had the final say I imagine but there would have been people above her who probably produced the directive and gave her the job of Hatchet Woman in Chief!

Last edited:
She moved to Channel 4 a short time after binning the show
She went on to be very successful and highly regarded, as she was very young, dynamic, clinical and commercially focused. I personally think she scapegoated longest running sitcom ever to make her mark, it certainly got her name known.

I feel Ms Hunt felt the 5m loyal mainly 50 plus viewers from middle England were irrelevant from a commercial point of view for the BBC. But interestingly LOTSW and the like dominate the lucrative commercial daytime TV channels like UK Drama & Gold.

Sorry I know we don't do political comments on this site, but I feel really strongly about this !

I feel Ms Hunt felt the 5m loyal mainly 50 plus viewers from middle England were irrelevant from a commercial point of view for the BBC. But interestingly LOTSW and the like dominate the lucrative commercial daytime TV channels like UK Drama & Gold.
which is owned by the BBC

Back