Toys ( Reprise)

amos hames

Dedicated Member
I did a thread about a year ago about favourite toys when you were children. It would be nice to hear from our newer members what their
Favourite toy or games were.

There was one around the 80's that drove me mad, a round item with 4 buttons and a light and sound sequence that you had to follow,which got harder as you went along,now what was it called,looked like a space ship

I also remember some games by MB that I had one was called Numbers up and I think the other was called Ker Plunk?

I keep seeing one that my brothers and I had , on shows such as Flogit and Bargain Hunt. It was ESCALADO, a horse racing game that if I am remembering properly was marginally as boring as Monopoly(when you're not really feeling like playing :-\) We must have had an early one because I seem to remember it relied on rolling the dice. :) For the benefit of any American cousins that don't know , FLOGIT is a show where you take antiques and curios to be valued and then they may be sold in auctions. BARGAIN HUNT is a show where two teams go to antiques fairs with £300-00 of the BBC's money, they choose 3 items for auction and the team that makes most profit wins ( or the least loss :-[ )

I had two favorite toys. I was given a chemistry set; I loved mixing and changing colors and making things fizz. I did try to be creative on my own and mixed upmy own experiment and made a smell similarto a skunk and we had to leave the house for several hours. ....True story.
:p

I keep seeing one that my brothers and I had , on shows such as Flogit and Bargain Hunt. It was ESCALADO, a horse racing game that if I am remembering properly was marginally as boring as Monopoly(when you're not really feeling like playing :-\) We must have had an early one because I seem to remember it relied on rolling the dice. :) For the benefit of any American cousins that don't know , FLOGIT is a show where you take antiques and curios to be valued and then they may be sold in auctions. BARGAIN HUNT is a show where two teams go to antiques fairs with £300-00 of the BBC's money, they choose 3 items for auction and the team that makes most profit wins ( or the least loss :-[ )

Actually, I used to watch Bargin Hunt which ran on the (American) BCC channel for awhile. It was very interesting.

I was definitely a Barbie girl, and I loved anything that included drawing. I had a light box toy from Crayola that you could draw and decorate interiors. My favorite though was Fashion Plates, hard to explain but lots of fun!

I remember getting a Jonny seven for Cristmas one year...it was a gun that had seven different firing things attached to it...but my favourite was my Scalextric set with lots of extra track that seemed to fill the room.

I remember playing for hours with a bunch of small, plastic action figures........cowboys, horses, and Indians. In the 1950's when i was a lad, two popular TV shows in the US were Roy Rogers and Gene Autry. The setting was the wild west and these two cowboys saved the world from just about every kind of bad guy. I would watch those TV shows then create my own western stories, chases, fight scenes, gun battles, etc. with my action figures.

I remember getting a Jonny seven for Cristmas one year...it was a gun that had seven different firing things attached to it...but my favourite was my Scalextric set with lots of extra track that seemed to fill the room.
I remember the Jonny seven gun but I never got one :'(. I remember one kid at school got one for Christmas and I thought he was the luckiest lad alive. I have never felt more jealous or envious of anyone as I was of him that Christmas >:(

I remember the Jonny seven gun but I never got one :'(. I remember one kid at school got one for Christmas and I thought he was the luckiest lad alive. I have never felt more jealous or envious of anyone as I was of him that Christmas >:(
Ahh! Poor John! If I had the money I would buy you one!

;D

I remember playing for hours with a bunch of small, plastic action figures........cowboys, horses, and Indians. In the 1950's when i was a lad, two popular TV shows in the US were Roy Rogers and Gene Autry. The setting was the wild west and these two cowboys saved the world from just about every kind of bad guy. I would watch those TV shows then create my own western stories, chases, fight scenes, gun battles, etc. with my action figures.

Am I right in thinking that Gene Autry once recorded The Christmas Favourite, 'Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer'. ???

Am I right in thinking that Gene Autry once recorded The Christmas Favourite, 'Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer'. ???

Sue, that is correct. Both Gene Autry and Roy Rodgers were considered "singing cowboys" and would break into a song just about anytime. I think they recorded albums and were popular on the early radio shows.

Gene Autry was also a businessman. At one point, he was a part owner of a professional baseball team in California (angels).

Sue, that is correct. Both Gene Autry and Roy Rodgers were considered "singing cowboys" and would break into a song just about anytime. I think they recorded albums and were popular on the early radio shows.
Gene Autry was also a businessman. At one point, he was a part owner of a professional baseball team in California (angels).

Not only did Gene Autry record "Rudolph, The Red Nosed Reindeer" but his version was a #1 hit on both US and US Country charts back in 1949.

My reading suggests he was full owner of the Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels. Saw them play several times in Anaheim back in 1989. Lovely stadium.

My sister and I were reviewing some old family photos recently and found several photos of a beloved Teddy Bear.

Ahh! Poor John! If I had the money I would buy you one!

;D
Aw gee, thanks Beth!

Back