Tom Owen in earlier LOSW ?

and7barton

Dedicated Member
Did Tom Owen appear in earlier episodes than "From here to Paternity", apart from his well known brief speaking part in "Situations Vacant" ? - I ask because a website I looked at today, mentioned a number of brief appearances in the show, both speaking and non-speaking. Was he lurking in the background in a few scenes ?

Did Tom Owen appear in earlier episodes than "From here to Paternity", apart from his well known brief speaking part in "Situations Vacant" ? - I ask because a website I looked at today, mentioned a number of brief appearances in the show, both speaking and non-speaking. Was he lurking in the background in a few scenes ?

Not that I am aware of, but many things are possible in the show, some folk have had speaking parts but never been mentioned in the credits, there were several children in the first few episodes, maybe he was one of them

If I recall correctly, Andrew Vine's book says Tom Owen visited the show quite a bit in the years before his father's death and did some work on some of those visits. So a background appearance wouldn't be out of the question, though a speaking part I think would have been noticed by fans (like me) who watch the show regularly. On the other hand, Alan Bell in his book says Tom appeared in "Cash flow Problems" and I don't know if that was confused with "Situations Vacant" or if Tom was actually in that one.

YES he did appear in an earlier episode...can't remember which, but he was a man at an ATM machine who Foggy bothered by making him thing maybe there were snipers.

EDIT: Yep, it's the opening scene in "Situations Vacant."

EDIT 2: If I'd have looked at the OP I'd have noticed you already had this info....apologies!
Then again, I could be lying....

Last edited:
I remember Tom in that scene, Andrew. Can not remember which episode it was. The scene was brief, if you blinked or stepped out of the room for a moment... one could easily miss it.

As noted by the OP, he was in "Situations Vacant." The opening scene is Foggy and him at a cash machine. As I said, I'm not sure why Bell refers to "Cash Flow Problems." He either was confusing it with "Situations Vacant" or perhaps Tom is actually in that one somewhere that we haven't noticed.

On the off chance, I did run "Cash Flow" tonight and watched carefully...and if Tom IS in there he's well hidden, I can tell you that...was watching all the folks in the background, the blokes who threw Compo out of the pub, folks in the street, etc....didn't find him...

Yep, I did mention "Situations Vacant" in my initial message - I was wondering about additional appearances without a speaking part.

On the off chance, I did run "Cash Flow" tonight and watched carefully...and if Tom IS in there he's well hidden, I can tell you that...was watching all the folks in the background, the blokes who threw Compo out of the pub, folks in the street, etc....didn't find him...

It was Situations Vacant, at the beginning.

Yep, I did mention "Situations Vacant" in my initial message - I was wondering about additional appearances without a speaking part.

I have to say I haven't noticed him in any other but it's something I'll watch for from now on.

It was Situations Vacant, at the beginning.
Yep, I know, just there were rumors from the book that it was in "Cash Flow" which apparently have been confused with "Situations." I decided to pop it in and review it just to make sure he wasn't there as well. As a certain baseball player used to say, "Sometimes you never know."

Last edited:
Yes. I tend to concentrate on the main characters and their conversation........ Must start looking around at other people on the set. I recall, in early episodes I kept seeing a bloke in the pub in the background who looked very like Stuart (from "Mending Stuart's Leg"). Another actor who appeared a number of times was Chris Breeze, mostly as a café customer. He never had any speaking part.

I know Alan Bell appeared in one episode, but a couple of other times it does look like him sitting in pub scenes

In the later years because of budget cuts crew were often used in the background and as long shot cast doubles, mainly due to cast age or illness/absence

In Cashflow Problems there is a guy who stomps
out of the farmers arms pub at about 23:03 who
almost looks like Tom but prolly not him. Best
I can find.

Still best guess is Situations Vacant where Tom
appears early and obviously and has his name in
the cast list as well.

In Cashflow Problems there is a guy who stomps
out of the farmers arms pub at about 23:03 who
almost looks like Tom but prolly not him. Best
I can find.

Still best guess is Situations Vacant where Tom
appears early and obviously and has his name in
the cast list as well.

If you mean the smaller bloke on the right side of the screen in the group throwing Compo out, yeah, I rewound that spot a few times wondering if that was him as well....

I was reminded of this thread today when reading through Vine's book again. When he starts talking about the decision to bring Tom Owen on after Bill Owen's death, Vine says Tom appeared in a cameo on the show back in 1978's "The Bandit from Stoke on Trent." I just watched that episode and don't see it at all, unless he was one of the security guards.

I find it odd that that all these different sources say Tom was in the show before "Situations Vacant" but we can't find him!

I was reminded of this thread today when reading through Vine's book again. When he starts talking about the decision to bring Tom Owen on after Bill Owen's death, Vine says Tom appeared in a cameo on the show back in 1978's "The Bandit from Stoke on Trent." I just watched that episode and don't see it at all, unless he was one of the security guards.

I find it odd that that all these different sources say Tom was in the show before "Situations Vacant" but we can't find him!

Well Tom who off been around 28 when they filmed that episode,so he could of been the younger security guard

Back