Today's Youth

Big Unc

Dedicated Member
A picture of today's youth. And our dear BBC does precisely what they ask for. Maybe because it is run by infants hardly out of kindergarten themselves.

:unhappy: :unhappy: :unhappy: :unhappy:

:13: :13: :13: :13:

ch140630_zps351d433d.gif

And at the moment BBC 1 & 2 is all day sport,fine if you like sport but not if you don't

ITV is just all repeats. Sunday nights are awful. Back to back repeats of You've been framed. Who still watches this programme. The BBC are getting just as bad.

Must admit that I am tending to watch my, admittedly extensive, collection of DVDs.
Dad's Army, Hancock, various Ronnie Barker ones and so on ... to the alost exclusion of TV. News via internet as I find it easier to read than listen to anyway.

So in a way, I am into repeats - but they are the repeats I want!

I've said it before that now we have 300 channels to chose from the powers that be have decided that the consumer has too much choice so have given up trying to compete.

Its like their treading water until their pensions come through.

TV was much more entertaining when we only had 4/5 channels and TV execs had to work for their money.

Also going back to Big Unc's point kids TV was 4pm until 6pm when The Magic Roundabout came on plus Saturday morning cartoon but now there are umpteen channels exclusively for kids, all categorized in appropriate age groups no less, that kids can sit in front of it 24/7. ( I think thats what he was getting at, I'm sure he'll come down on me with his usual gently touch if I'm wrong :42::me:)

I am tending to watch mycollection of DVDs.

Yes, thank the good lord for torrent sites! We have an extensive
collection of older UK shows such as The Royal, Heartbeat, Last
Detective, The Sweeney, New Tricks, LOTSW, Poirot, Vicar
of Dibley, Call the Midwife etc, etc. Wife even has a weekly
list of what we watch then. Downloading is king!!

But then we do get Doc Martin on PBS as well!!

We have talked about getting rid of the cable. We need cable just to watch our local channels , because of the rolling hills here in TN, regular antenna cannot pick up the Nashville stations, for watching the local news. I could do without it myself. We do sometimes watch History, Discovery,Learning channel from time to time.

I agree with whoever said, when just a few channels they had to compete for your viewing. Those days are gone!

The cable provider in this area is Time Warner, and I subscribe to what they call 'Starter TV' (like training wheels?!). That includes Public Access, PBS, CW, NBC, ABC and Fox local affiliates, Time Warner Cable News, ION, QVC, Shop HQ and the State Legislative Channel.

I've never looked at QVC or Shop HQ, and I look at the local network affiliates only for news of a local emergency or, once a few years ago, for live coverage of the local high school band marching in London's New Year's Day parade. At $10.16 per month, I'm probably overpaying for cable, but roof antennas don't work well in this area and I really don't want satellite.

That price includes FM radio, but I haven't connected it because reception is better with the little wire antenna. It picks up the very strong signal from the transmitter on top of a nearby hill rather than the weaker signal from the transmitter closest to the cable headquarters, and the cable doesn't carry the regional jazz and current events talk station, which the wire antenna picks up very well.

I had to be a little pushy to get the sales person to even tell me about the Starter option, which was called Life Line back then. It was worth the trouble to avoid paying for way more than I'll ever watch.

I plan to stay with the training wheels.

Marianna

Just to correct my earlier post. We have directV. We have one step above basic. I think we got extra history channels when we got it. I wouldn't mind just getting what you have Marianna. May look into it.

The only reason I still have a number of TV channels is inertia - could take a lower package as now my wife is no longer watching them I do not need the range!

Off shortly to watch JUST PEARL.

Suddenly, we have a large number of channels that run almost nothing but shows from the 50's, 60's and 70's and WETA UK which run all vintage British shows. Who would have thunk that we can still view see Perry Mason, Star Trek, Dragnet, Ballykissangel, and of course, LOTSW.

Suddenly, we have a large number of channels that run almost nothing but shows from the 50's, 60's and 70's and WETA UK which run all vintage British shows. Who would have thunk that we can still view see Perry Mason, Star Trek, Dragnet, Ballykissangel, and of course, LOTSW.

I am so envious! Especially about WETA UK. WSKG doesn't even come close, with their four hours each Saturday evening. If the cost of living weren't so much higher in the DC area than in south central upstate New York, I'd relocate there.

Marianna

A picture of today's youth. And our dear BBC does precisely what they ask for. Maybe because it is run by infants hardly out of kindergarten themselves.

:unhappy: :unhappy: :unhappy: :unhappy:

:13: :13: :13: :13:

ch140630_zps351d433d.gif

I have no problem with youth watching television

because

it's a damn sight more sociable than them glued to watching rubbish that's all over the internet,
or
glued to a mobile phone, especially at the dinner table, if you're lucky enough to get them at a table,
or
glued to a video game.

At least with tv others can join in.

Bloody youth. They think they invented everything. Especially sex.

Just reread what I wrote earlier about being envious of folks who have access to DC-area television. Apparently I'm saying to the broadcasters in my region, 'Pander to me'. Except that I want my Anglophile tastes pandered to, rather than wanting pandering to a taste for what I perceive as junk TV. There's probably not much difference between Calvin and me.

Marianna.

Last edited:
Sort of in keeping with this thread about older TV shows,
I just realized that I do not have individual AVI files for the
early episodes of New Tricks. So I am just now starting a long
download from ThePirateBay of the first 5 series. May take a
day or so. But I really want them.

LOL Not fair! I remember being a teenager! 6 months ago! LOL

Anyway, I know this is gonna sound way strange coming from a chick barely out of her teens, but I agree with ya'll completely. The crap kids today are calling good TV is just horrible! I use to love watching Cartoon Network with my cousin and my sister. My cousin lived with us for a while because things were bad at home and every Friday night the three of us would go in the back room (we called it the dungeon because we thought that was cool) and we would eat pizza and watch our favorite cartoons. It was kind of a tradition for us and the cartoons like "Teen Titans" and "Ed, Edd, n' Eddy" were awesome. Now, kids are watching crap like "Adventure Time" and "The Amazing World of Gumball". I've seen it and it sucks. There's no plot to it, it's just stupid. I'm glad we have Boomerang because we can still watch our old favorites, but at the same time, I feel so old seeing cartoons I loved as a kid on Boomerang and knowing that the kids today will never know what it's like to daydream about fighting villains with the Teen Titans or getting in trouble with Ed, Edd, and Eddy. It's kinda sad.

LOL Not fair! I remember being a teenager! 6 months ago! LOL

...would go in the back room (we called it the dungeon because we thought that was cool) ....

Some of us have a dungeon below the living area :eek::eek::eek:

I keep my pet spiders there ....

Some of us have a dungeon below the living area :eek::eek::eek:

I keep my pet spiders there ....

If you're collecting spiders I'll send you mine. Some are a bit squashed but a good resus team should do the trick :me:

Back