Thoughts on the later years of LOTSW (long)

I just think Roy Clarke is a genius as are some of the other great British comedy writers

In the Ronnie Barker era of Open All Hours , I think some of the one liners that he wrote are brilliant for example . Arkwright is on the phone to a Customer who has a currant bun with a fly in it to which he replies as a rule we don't exchange goods but if you bring the fly in I'll swap it for a currant, or when he is looking to make his own products and thinks about treacle toffee "That's it Granville I can see a truck with Aaaaarkwrights yyyyyorkshire ttttreacle ttttofffeee[or somethng like that] on the side " to which Granville replies " I doubt they'd allow a truck that long on the Motorway" . It is sheer genius.

Totally agree with everything said.
The first 2 series where real, true to life. I could totally see three men sitting the library or the cafe having those conversations then series 3 to 8 with Foggy were also very visible in terms of reality. When Seymour arrived it turned more into slapstick situations but still very believable. Foggy's return carried on with the slapstick but very well written and enjoyable. It was after that for me it started to deteriorate, it wasn't believable anymore and the slapstick really took over. I did enjoy some of the later episodes but by then it had really moved away from what it had been. I've given Hobbo lots of chances and room to grow on me but I still can't stand him.

I could never take to Hobbo either

It's where Foggy is stuck up a tree looking for a Colorado beetle.

It is the last line of the pilot. But, you are right Maggie, it was also used as the last line in "A Merry Heatwave." That one has Foggy up a tree looking for the Colorado beetle.

I think I'll start a Hobbo appreciation page on Facebook. A cosy little group... just me and the cat.. that ought to cover it.
I know someone who'll join! I'l
Go and message him now, he'll be well chuffed to hear from me :35:

I think I'll start a Hobbo appreciation page on Facebook. A cosy little group... just me and the cat.. that ought to cover it.

John,

You will have to name it " The Let's all do the Jam Roly Poly Group" members could be called Custard 1 to Custard n . Of course It should be real Custard although you could use the powdered variety............................................ because we all know that Cats eat Birds :eek::eek::08:

John,

You will have to name it " The Let's all do the Jam Roly Poly Group" members could be called Custard 1 to Custard n . Of course It should be real Custard although you could use the powdered variety............................................ because we all know that Cats eat Birds :eek::eek::08:
Pearl is threatening to tell one of her best friends on Facebook about the group. I might have to rethink. I like the custard idea though. It's a long time since I've custard ;)

Last edited:
As I understand it, the actor who played Hobbo, I think, had previously played a similar character in other shows and perhaps it was thought that this character type would work on LOTSW.

Adanor,

Russ Abbott had his own show on ITV called Madhouse one of the characters was a spoof of James Bond called Basildon Bond [after the Notepaper] and I think Russ basically just played Hobbo as a copy of that character with a few tweaks to reflect Roy Clarke's script . I think Russ Abbot was almost a Hobson's choice for a role in LOTSW because the pool of available comedic talent of a suitable age had immeasurably shrunk.

Pearl is threatening to tell one of best friends on Facebook about the group. I might have to rethink. I like the custard idea though. It's a long time since I've custard ;)

These things have a habit of coming back to haunt the perpetrator , Pearl could end up with egg on her face ................ or even egg Custard ! :eek::39:

I've nothing against Russ Abbot as an actor, just the character of Hobbo

I'll watch the later episodes but I think my interest definitely waned when Compo died

Well said Sarkus. Cleggy has always been a favorite of mine throughout the show. Even though he may not have been as high profile as some other characters he was the mortar that held them together and balanced things out.

As Clegg got older I feel that Barry could have been a nice one to step in and fill Clegg's shoes if given the chance. Add Alvin, Tom and Entwhistle to the mix, with greater character development things could have gone well as a group of equals. Alvin, Tom and Entwhistle could swap the roles of being the dreamer with a grand idea for an adventure or invention. Then in another episode those three could swap being the idle, irresponsible one. All the while with Barry as the centering force amongst them. Not forgetting some screen time for our constables Cooper and Walsh.

True, maybe Roy Clarke was getting a little tired of writing the show by then. I am sure that there would have been a few able writers who would have been willing to help out and pen some episodes in the same style. They could have helped free up Roy's time for other projects while he still had oversight on LoTSW. I know it is easy to play armchair quarterback after the fact. I am trying to take nothing away from Mr Clarke's efforts. Just tossing out ideas that could have kept a well loved show still moving in an enjoyable direction.

We got an interesting view of an alternative trio with Barry in Clegg mode and Toby/The Captain in third man territory, Morton Beamish aka the Repo Man uncomfortably fitting the Compo position which is why this dynamic wasn't explored further I reckon.

The biggest contrast between Morton and Compo was the fact that Morton was domesticated, illustrated by all of the day to day tasks he undertook for Toby , Washing , Ironing ,Hoovering et al , whereas clearly Compo was clearly not , no examples required.

Back