Thoughts on the later years of LOTSW (long)

I wasn't a fan of Barry The Captain or Morton so for me that would have been unwatchable.

They had one chance to try and recreate the 3 some when they brought Tom in but he turned out to be a damp squid. But having said that I don' think it could ever be recreated, they'll never get the characters right or the chemistry between the actors.

I wasn't a fan of Barry The Captain or Morton so for me that would have been unwatchable.

They had one chance to try and recreate the 3 some when they brought Tom in but he turned out to be a damp squid. But having said that I don' think it could ever be recreated, they'll never get the characters right or the chemistry between the actors.

In the end it would be like the Three Stooges without Curly , Larry , Moe or Shemp , the majestic three were just a good fit and gelled together . Though one of the three was occasionally replaced [as Shemp was with Curly who was again replaced by Shemp very much like Foggy did with Seymour] they managed to maintain that comrardery mainly because of the clear bond between Peter Sallis and Bill Owen . Luckily Michael Bates, Brian Wilde, Michael Aldridge and Frank Thornton were such accomplished actors that they dovetailed perfectly with Peter and Bill even if they did not always see eye to eye in real life on occasion .

Totally agree captain. I think having 2 stable constants made it possible to change the 3rd man so much, I think losing 2 would have been a huge down fall.

Totally agree captain. I think having 2 stable constants made it possible to change the 3rd man so much, I think losing 2 would have been a huge down fall.

Definitely so, with Clegg and Compo you felt they were mischievious twins at times taking on society with their own special ways. After Compo went Truly was like an elder brother instead to Clegg which thankfully still worked well due to Frank Thornton's professionalism.

There are many thoughts on who and what would have worked; what didn't work, and how Tom Owen fitted in -- after the sad loss of Bill Owen BUT the show continued for another ten years which is TRULY amazing. Regardless, all of the actors and actresses were TRULY professional and even game. They TRULY gave it their all.

Peter Kay followed suit with Car Share and was considering a 3rd but quashed that idea [for now] however , he has announced this week he has received so much abuse and outpouring of anger about how he ended the show he has agreed to "tie up loose ends" with two specials to air next year

In case anyone is interested the first of Peter Kay's additional episodes is to be shown on Monday 7th May on BBC1 at 22:00

Sadly, I have stumbled across this site a bit late. We have almost every LOTSW season and special on disc and enjoy watching them, one per day, in chronological order over and over again. The flavor does change from season to season and with each cast change and it isn't always for the better, but there is always something to like. As someone once said: "LOTSW is about a time and a place that never were." Even so, I sometimes feel I would like to be walking through Holmfirth on a summer day.

Greets and Welcome, Lurch :18:. Glad you found us. Better late than never.

Well said on the LotSW is a time and place that never were. I agree with you on how it would be nice to walk about Holmfirth on a summer day. Would still like to make that trip some day. Your name reminds me a bit of The Addams Family for some reason. :)

There are many thoughts on who and what would have worked; what didn't work, and how Tom Owen fitted in -- after the sad loss of Bill Owen BUT the show continued for another ten years which is TRULY amazing. Regardless, all of the actors and actresses were TRULY professional and even game. They TRULY gave it their all.
I agree..........but you could be lyeing.

4-1-1973 TO 29-8-2020.....
With such longevity we should always expect peaks and troughs...
The beauty of our magical series is that everyone has an opinion,be it positive or negative.
None of us are right or wrong,because what works for me may not work for the rest of my "family members".
The only constant is that throughout its time we have ALL tuned in...simply because of the way the show made us "feel" when were first watched it.
A "feeling" that grows with each episode we viewed.
It is a unique feeling......non "Summer Winers" will never understand.
We all should feel blessed that "our show" can divide opinions,and STILL keeps new "family members" coming to join this amazing website......from all over the world !.

Sadly, I have stumbled across this site a bit late. We have almost every LOTSW season and special on disc and enjoy watching them, one per day, in chronological order over and over again. The flavor does change from season to season and with each cast change and it isn't always for the better, but there is always something to like. As someone once said: "LOTSW is about a time and a place that never were." Even so, I sometimes feel I would like to be walking through Holmfirth on a summer day.
Me too, I have also just stumbled across this site.......

Greets and Welcome, @ChrisB :18:.

You would not happen to be THE Chris Barrie of Red Dwarf fame would you? ;)

Added,
As I told Lurch above, better late than never to join us barmpots.

Back