Thought of Howard...

I can relate a tale about a gentlemen who was my boss and a friend . He was a Howard type character but definitely outclassed him in terms of sneakiness. His wife was quite domineering and was not a particularly social person in terms of going out but my boss/friend was completely opposite ,a life and soul of the party . He took earlyish retirement at 59 but did not tell his wife . He had an allotment in which he assembled a wardrobe of outfits for going out , all kept in a large shed . He would leave home in the morning complete with briefcase and dressed in a suit as if he was going to work but go to the allotment get changed and go out for the day sometimes in different towns and cities, sometimes in Newcastle .

He managed to carry this on for a couple of years before eventually he got caught out but had such a fantastic time over that period . I had lost touch with him before he got caught but a mutual friend bumped into him after the capture and whilst he was amazingly still with his wife he was even more under the cosh . Normally my mutual friend would have dragged him off to the bar for the afternoon but like a rabbit in the headlights he said he would not dare go and rushed off home as she had set a time for him being home by .

I guess he was modern day Mr Ben

Back