Thora statue.

I hope its successful because Dame Thora Hird was the backbone of British Film and TV and thoroughly deserves the recognition . I hope the selected sculptor produces a far better tribute than that frankly awful alleged tribute to Bill Owen as Compo which was shown in other threads . It will of course be the second statue of a famous entertainer to adorn Morecambe's hallowed streets.

Seems too expensive to me.

The Eric Morecambe one looks very good, but these statues can have a tendency to look nothing like what they are supposed to, or they can look unflattering.

I thought the Fred Dibnah one could have been so much better.

I love Fred but that statue is awful. Best, Law and Charlton outside Old Trafford, Les Dawson in Lytham and Eric in Morecambe are great one's.

Last edited:
Weirdly I was watching The Entertainer earlier today, she was an amazing actress acting alongside Lawrence Olivier !

Totally agree that Thora should have a statue such a fine actress,the one that's doing it if successful is the one who done sir Tom Finney's statue at deepdale so it may turn out great

I agree she deserves a statue. Don't know the how much they usually go for but that price seems a bit steep. One could buy a house for that kind of cash. The main question is how well the selected artist can portray her likeness properly.

Well said. The thing with these kind of statues is deciding what era of their life do you portray?

She has to be recognisible, yet shouldn't look too old.

Would people recognise her if she looked like she did in her 1950s films?

Perhaps the 1980s look would be best, at time when she was doing LOTSW and In Loving Memory and Songs of Praise.

Using this thread because Dame Thora had been in British Films . The Berry Family company produced many of the iconic posters for films and the circus . There are two articles on the BBC about the remaining family members putting the posters up for sale and then the resulting report about the sale . Both articles show examples of the posters making these two short articles a nice read.

[/URL]

Back