This is why you don't

Its just upsetting to see the pictures of those trapped in these flooded areas and lots not for the first time , repeated flooding must make you feel like just giving up. The insurance premiums must be sky high and some simply cannot afford or cannot get the insurance to cover the losses no words can express the empathy I am sure we all feel for the affected people . Everything is pinned on Climate Change and people saying we have to act now but you have to wonder is it all too late, the pattern is set and it will be so so difficult to influence a change that will see an end to it .

Build on flood plains, view from the York camera, all this flooded ground is normally nice green fields
View attachment 3196
Our farm had low-lying pastures and fields that flooded every spring, depositing fresh fine-grained, fertile soil for that summer's growing season. I recall this from the 1940s through the late '60s, when the bridge between the farm and the nearest town would wash out and, in the '50s, the school would close for a week because the teacher couldn't get there from town.

I haven't been out that way since the farm was sold in '68, so I have no idea how high the water gets now. The farm land has been heavily built up, but I hope people had the sense to not build in the flood plain!

Speaking of flood plains, I hope that Holmfirth did not flood. I know that they had some trouble with flooding in the past and that hopefully these areas that have flooded in the past have had structures put into place to forestall flooding. Due to climate change, areas that NEVER flooded in the past, now have experienced heavy flooding. The 100-year flood as turned into the annual flood. The best advice I can offer is -- when a government official knocks on your door and says it's time to evacuate -- pack that suitcase, load up the pets and leave.

Back