This Horse meat Saga

May I ask a question? Is horse meat eaten in USA? My guess is not but an authoritative statement would be helpful from one of our correspondents across the Atlantic.

I visited US many times and never heard of horse being eaten. Maybe happened in rural central states - virtually all my travelling was on either coast but I was dealing with US Navy so tended to the maritime.

Did not see much lamb - hangover from the old prairie wars? Times past some restaurants made a big thing of rattlesnake steaks. You can anticipate my reaction to that one. As with everything else I was told it tasted like chicken. And of cause, there were the legendary buffalo wings - highly spiced in some places. Some places served them spiced increasingly hot on a scale from one to ten. Cannot remember the highest number I risked. The number of buffalo wings one saw I became convinced the US bred chickens with ten wings.

Not acceptable it was passed off as beef I agree but horse met is actually better for you than beef. It is leaner with more protein. Most of the outcry is probably because we have domesticated horses and don't see them as food (by and large) '

Personally I think fine the suppliers and move on, no one will die from eating horse.

The next time you have a steak and they ask you if you want it rare or well done, you'll have to tell them you want it good to firm ;)

... but horse met is actually better for you than beef. It is leaner with more protein. Most of the outcry is probably because we have domesticated horses and don't see them as food (by and large) '

Personally I think fine the suppliers and move on, no one will die from eating horse.

That is correct, horse meat is actually higher quality meat than beef. The trouble with this scandal here is that there are illegal substances in it as well, such as medication. But I think it´s much too little to harm anybody, it´s just that the declaration was wrong, and I agree, fine them and move on, nobody will die of it.

**** you are right, but for me it isnt whether there is horsemeat or goat or yeti in the product...the issue i have is that it says beef on the packaging and so is misleading and, therefore, criminal.

I like venison, Big Unc. I have an uncle who used to shoot and so from an early age I learned to paunch rabbits and pluck various birds. Game seems to be a fashionable food these days. We had it cos we couldn't afford meats like beef, lamb and pork.

Maybe I've got the spelling wrong. To paunch a rabbit is to skin, gut and clean it out, ready to cook.

Not acceptable it was passed off as beef I agree but horse met is actually better for you than beef. It is leaner with more protein. Most of the outcry is probably because we have domesticated horses and don't see them as food (by and large) '

no one will die depending if you have Blood Pressure problems..

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Noun 1. paunch - a protruding abdomen
belly
adipose tissue, fatty tissue, fat - a kind of body tissue containing stored fat that serves as a source of energy; it also cushions and insulates vital organs; "fatty tissue protected them from the severe cold"
torso, trunk, body - the body excluding the head and neck and limbs; "they moved their arms and legs and bodies"
bay window, potbelly, tummy, corporation, pot - slang for a paunch

The next time you have a steak and they ask you if you want it rare or well done, you'll have to tell them you want it good to firm ;)

Would that not be "stake" rather than "steak".

You do like to correct others. It is STEAK that you eat and Stake that you stick in the ground like a pole etc.

Mais non, mon brave! You miss the point entirely!

STAKE:

1. A piece of wood or metal pointed at one end for driving into the ground as a marker, fence pole, or tent peg.
a. A vertical post to which an offender is bound for execution by burning.
b. Execution by burning. Used with the: condemned to the stake.
3. A vertical post secured in a socket at the edge of a platform, as on a truck bed, to help retain the load.
4. Mormon Church A territorial division consisting of a group of wards under the jurisdiction of a president.
5. Sports & Games
a. Money or property risked in a wager or gambling game. Often used in the plural. See Synonyms at bet.
b. The prize awarded the winner of a contest or race.
c. A race offering a prize to the winner, especially a horserace in which the prize consists of money contributed equally by the horse owners.
a. A share or an interest in an enterprise, especially a financial share.
b. Personal interest or involvement: a stake in her children's future.
7. A grubstake.

Look at definitions 5.a and 5.c above!!!!!

This is what I meant BigUnc when you said (piece of wood or metal pointed at one end for driving into the ground as a marker, fence pole, or tent peg.)

I'm with you on this one Unc, we are talking horse meat so you meant stake as in a bet? ;)

Back