Things that irritate you

People that don't thank you when you hold a door open.

Car drivers who don't indicate
I agree Amos, I was once called a chauvinist for holding a door open for a "lady". I told her to blame a woman for it , my mother who taught me manners along with learning how to cross the road,. ;)
The non-indicating car drivers have given me grief since I started collecting my morning paper.The shop I use is near a roundabout with no lights for crossing ,so you can sometimes take your life into into your hands just to cross the road. Traffic comes down 3 roads and roughly half make any indication of their intentions. >:(

You can hold the door open for me any time, its nothing to do with women's lib its courtesy. :)

People that don't thank you when you hold a door open.

Car drivers who don't indicate
I agree Amos, I was once called a chauvinist for holding a door open for a "lady". I told her to blame a woman for it , my mother who taught me manners along with learning how to cross the road,. ;)
The non-indicating car drivers have given me grief since I started collecting my morning paper.The shop I use is near a roundabout with no lights for crossing ,so you can sometimes take your life into into your hands just to cross the road. Traffic comes down 3 roads and roughly half make any indication of their intentions. >:(

You can hold the door open for me any time, its nothing to do with women's lib its courtesy. :)
I agree Susan. It is a sign of respect only. It is rare here that men will do that for a woman anymore. When they do hold a door for me, I make sure to thank them. ;)

Next list, I said I would be back.

People who waste their chances ie Paul Gascoine
Harry Gration - used to be also Christa Ackroyd, but she has gone off look north thankfully.
Litter
Vandalism
People who play ball games in the street when there is a field nearby
Arrogance
Food waste
Overly religious people

Phase two, may be more to come

One that doesnt seem to have been mentioned is the increase in self service checkouts of every kind.Asda have apparently got one on trial where you put the goods on a conveyor , it scans them and all you do is pack and pay! ??? >:(

Look closely, Dick.
Already in my short list.

Do you think these self service checkouts are here to stay, or will they go back to using staff?

I think you should at least get a discount for using the self check out. 10% off or something, they are saving labor costs. Then maybe it would be worth the frustration.

Here's mine.

EVERYTHING!!!

PLUS

screaming kids in a supermarket, Grrrrrrrr, how I haven't hit the ignorant parent with my baguette shows awesome will power.

Violence
Violent films,
smell of cooking sprouts cabbage etc yuk yuk yuk
weeding, how I hate that, you turn around and they are back
having nothing nice to nibble when you have the munchies and can't be bothered to go out and get some
cruelty to any living thing,
bad manners
lying cheating politicians
hole in my sock
Freshly varnished nails, that chip

Blimey I better stop there I sound like a right old grump!!!

my boss (I think a lot of people would have that)
rude people
my ability to clutter up places very quickly
workplace drama
really hot weather

my boss (I think a lot of people would have that)
rude people
my ability to clutter up places very quickly
workplace drama
really hot weather
Don't move to Florida on the hot weather. Ughhh, 95 today and feels like 101. I just got back from PA where it was 55 in the morning and 75 in the afternoon.

My source of irritation today is one Smith Whittaker.

Unfortunately I suspect he is long dead. he was a builder in the Keighley area - and was active in the early part of the 20th century.

I would have thought that they had plumb lines, spirit levels and so on then - but it seems they never used them. My house was built by him in 1903 and it seems there is hardly a straight wall anywhere. I can accept some changes over time particularly on horizontals, but how come some stair treads vary by as much as 0.5 inch in width on a supposedly straight staircase? It seems that the wall has never been dead straight and the staircase varies accordingly.

I have been trying to lay some replacement carpet today - the old one after 24 years had become decidedly threadbare and almost fell apart when lifted!

Although the stairs to the second floor (third floor in USA) show even more variability in depth of tread and height of riser. The steps to the dungeon, being stone, are less varied.

So If I come across any surviving relatives I would like a word!

My source of irritation today is one Smith Whittaker.

Unfortunately I suspect he is long dead. he was a builder in the Keighley area - and was active in the early part of the 20th century.

I would have thought that they had plumb lines, spirit levels and so on then - but it seems they never used them. My house was built by him in 1903 and it seems there is hardly a straight wall anywhere. I can accept some changes over time particularly on horizontals, but how come some stair treads vary by as much as 0.5 inch in width on a supposedly straight staircase? It seems that the wall has never been dead straight and the staircase varies accordingly.

I have been trying to lay some replacement carpet today - the old one after 24 years had become decidedly threadbare and almost fell apart when lifted!

Although the stairs to the second floor (third floor in USA) show even more variability in depth of tread and height of riser. The steps to the dungeon, being stone, are less varied.

So If I come across any surviving relatives I would like a word!
What do you mean second floor (third floor in USA) ....just curious.... :) Good luck with the carpet.

You have a dungeon, Barmpot?

Well some might call it a cellar but it is down another flight of stairs (stone) and one of the rooms has no external window. But there are three rooms there (one was the coal cellar, one a keeping cellar and one a more general storage area).

However as it is known as Barmpot Towers - the idea of a dungeon follows - well in my thinking any way!

What do you mean second floor (third floor in USA) ....just curious.... :) Good luck with the carpet.
[/quote]

I understood that what we call the ground floor in the USA is known as the first floor. So my first floor is the USA second floor, and so on.

The house is on four floors -
dungeon,
living area and kitchen
bedrooms and bathroom
study and spare bedroom
storage.

So when I telephoned the utility company today (another irritation) who wanted an up to date reading from the gas and electricity meters it was down three flights of stairs and up three flights of stairs! phew!

Well some might call it a cellar but it is down another flight of stairs (stone) and one of the rooms has no external window. But there are three rooms there (one was the coal cellar, one a keeping cellar and one a more general storage area).

However as it is known as Barmpot Towers - the idea of a dungeon follows - well in my thinking any way!

Like your way of thinking Barmpot.
We either called it a cellar or a basement. In florida very few cellars due to the water table being so close to the surface.

Like your way of thinking Barmpot.
We either called it a cellar or a basement. In florida very few cellars due to the water table being so close to the surface.

You could end up with a well ;D

Back