There has been a Discussion

POINT OF ORDER MISTER CHARMAN !!!!!.........No series in the history of television deserves fanatics like our GLOBAL FAMILY OF BARMPOTS !!!!!!.
No matter how wonderful KUA and OAH are [and they are !!] they don't compare to decades of perfection from OUR show.
Our fanbase is a global family....all brought together by Roy's genius.......AND THE PURE JOY IT GIVES US ALL !!!!!!.
X!

I adore Mrs. Featherstone
When you see the originals Tommy you will hopefully see one of the things I don't get about Still Open. In the original Mrs Featherstone is chasing after Arkwright states often she prefers to deal with the more mature person and thinks Granville is young and daft , she is appalled when Granville asks her about "aspects of married life" and how he admires and is interested in the female form . So why in SOAH does she chase after Granville romantically it simply does not stack up . I am in the camp that say they should have just left things with the original and should never have made SOAH.

When you see the originals Tommy you will hopefully see one of the things I don't get about Still Open. In the original Mrs Featherstone is chasing after Arkwright states often she prefers to deal with the more mature person and thinks Granville is young and daft , she is appalled when Granville asks her about "aspects of married life" and how he admires and is interested in the female form . So why in SOAH does she chase after Granville romantically it simply does not stack up . I am in the camp that say they should have just left things with the original and should never have made SOAH.
Captain I agree with your thoughts, but was it she was money oriented and now Granville held the purse strings he became her target

Captain I agree with your thoughts, but was it she was money oriented and now Granville held the purse strings he became her target
Also Granville is now old and mature so perhaps how she likes them.

On the subject of SOAH there are very very few of these old fashioned grocery type stores (if any?) left in the UK. What seems to have replaced them is Londis or Spar type mini-marts with windows covered in adverts for cheap mobile calls with half the items behind security glass, where you go in buy what you want then leave. My point being it was much easier to relate to the original series of OAH as these type of sell everything hub of the community shops were ubiquitous during the run but not when SOAH went out.

My point being it was much easier to relate to the original series of OAH as these type of sell everything hub of the community shops were ubiquitous during the run but not when SOAH went out.

Like the later years of Summer Wine, SOAH has a timeless feel to it. I was born in the mid-70s. I can watch SOAH and it could easily be the 80's or the 90's, etc. Same as the Trully years of Summer Wine, I am oblivious to the era.

I enjoy it tremendously. Leroy is hilarious and I adore Mrs. Featherstone. I have a stream for Gold that is my morning background and am just now getting to see the original shows. It tickles me seeing Kathy Staff looking like she just walked over from the set of LotSW to film these. Was surreal at first not hearing her called Nora.

For me, Still Open All Hours has three different directions. In the first few seasons, the emphasis was on Gastric and Madge. I absolutely love these episodes! I can't get enough of them.

Afterward, there was more emphasis on Mrs. Featherstone and Mr. Newbold. I enjoyed these seasons but felt there was a little too much emphasis on those two.

In the last season or two, Clarke brought in more of Leroy's peers into the show. Those are a bit of a miss for me.

I have just recently binge watched every episode SOAH. I found it watchable, however it was VERY light compared to the original and for some reason some of it just didn't quite hit the mark. Granville has morphed into the money grabbing role of Arkwright as would probably be expected, BUT............................... I don't think I quite believe it. For some reason David Jason just doesn't quite fit the part (In MY mind anyway).

With Arkwright, you had NO DOUBT he was after every penny from EVERYONE. Granville tries but just isn't quite as believable.
I think it may have to do with the modern tone of the show, As I have said elsewhere the original is a lot darker and grittier and this may have something to do with it.

My claim to fame [ish]......A mate of mine lived 2 DOORS DOWN from Arkwright's shop in Balby, Doncaster !!!!.
Although he was Yorkshire born and bred he watched Everton [ I know.....he should have known better and we both deserve sympathy].
I used to stay at his home sometimes....and nip down to Arkwright's......hoping it had transformed from the hairdressers to his wonderful emporium.....unfortunately it always remained as a ladies hairdressers.....my fantasy was always shattered.
A sad fact is that I used to go into the shop and chat to the ladies just so I could say I have stood in the doorway that the absolute comedy legends stood in !!!!
X!.

My claim to fame [ish]......A mate of mine lived 2 DOORS DOWN from Arkwright's shop in Balby, Doncaster !!!!.
Although he was Yorkshire born and bred he watched Everton [ I know.....he should have known better and we both deserve sympathy].
I used to stay at his home sometimes....and nip down to Arkwright's......hoping it had transformed from the hairdressers to his wonderful emporium.....unfortunately it always remained as a ladies hairdressers.....my fantasy was always shattered.
A sad fact is that I used to go into the shop and chat to the ladies just so I could say I have stood in the doorway that the absolute comedy legends stood in !!!!
X!.
My claims to fame are 1. My neighbour was a close friend of Lemmy of Motorhead. 2. My buddy lived with Chumbawamba in Leeds.
That's it......I think haha; )))

Nothing to match you Moody....my claims to fame basically involve locking up various famous West Aus people...although LONG ago When I was managing a Sports Store in a country town I did sell a (cheap and nasty) cricket ball to members of a famous Oz band from the 70's called "Sherbert"

I also met the Red Arrows at Duxford when I was there in 2017....can't say I was very impressed:(! Mind you THEY probably thought the same! LOL

My claims to fame are 1. My neighbour was a close friend of Lemmy of Motorhead. 2. My buddy lived with Chumbawamba in Leeds.
That's it......I think haha; )))
Back in the 90s I dabbled in standup mostly at a theater/club in New Orleans where there'd be the standup acts followed by a "comedy tag" where we did a group improvise. One of the participants was a young medical student doing his residency at Ochsner, Ken Jeong.

I used to hang out at a small "new wave" club near the Amphib base in Norfolk VA ('80/81) when I was in the navy. One of the bands was The Naros and when they broke up their teenage keyboardist joined regional favorites, The X-Raves, a band that should have gotten that big break. He did though, he's now scoring movies and TV and won an Emmy, Mac Quayle.

Monsieur Blue I seem to recall you have chatted to ,or perhaps maybe I am mistaken and it was seen so apologies in advance, the fantastic Lee Mavers at the match . [Those not in the know Mr Mavers is the lynchpin of the La's whose one and only album is perhaps one if not the greatest first album ever]

Monsieur Blue I seem to recall you have chatted to ,or perhaps maybe I am mistaken and it was seen so apologies in advance, the fantastic Lee Mavers at the match . [Those not in the know Mr Mavers is the lynchpin of the La's whose one and only album is perhaps one if not the greatest first album ever]
Hey hey hey caaaaalm down ; ))))

Granville has morphed into the money grabbing role of Arkwright as would probably be expected, BUT............................... I don't think I quite believe it. For some reason David Jason just doesn't quite fit the part (In MY mind anyway).

With Arkwright, you had NO DOUBT he was after every penny from EVERYONE. Granville tries but just isn't quite as believable.
Since this discussion I got to see Gold's run of OAH, Arkwright definitely more fit the conniving penny-grabber like a glove. I prefer the older Mrs. Featherstone though. To me the age, her dressing and general demeaner make her appear more "posh" which makes it even funnier when she switches into flirty man-chasing mode.

Back