The Pivotal Series 8

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
I was lucky to catch the Series 8 right after returning from my big vacation. The Series really starts off with a bang because Mysterious Feet and Keeping Britain Tidy is among the greatest back-to-back combinations. This is primarily because the Wally and Nora scenes are so spectacular!
If I was to ask with Season impacted the longevity of Summer Wine the most I believe most would say Series 21, with Compo’s passing. However, I now think Series 8 might be a close second. For one, it introduced Howard, Pearl, and Marina; all who lasted for the rest of the show. Then, Wesley is introduced in the end. He made a great impact and while the character of Wesley didn’t last until the very end, the role that he started, (dysfunctional handyman) last until the end with Entwhistle.
The new additions to Summer Wine started the widening of the cast of the show which lasted until the end. I am also a bit confused by the introduction of these characters due to the timing. I will start with Wesley, because I absolutely love Wesley and equally admire his eventual replacement, Entwhistle. I think it is odd that he debuted in the Series’ last episode, Who’s Looking After the Café? Was this because he originally was meant to only make one appearance? Just curious. Regardless, he was a great addition to the show.
The introduction of Howard, Marina, and Pearl also leaves me baffled. For one, how come they entered in the middle of the Series, and not the beginning? The balance of the characters in Series 8 seems a bit odd. The Series starts with a lot of emphasis on Wally and Nora. Then their roles diminish and Howard, Marina, and Pearl develop. I “like” Howard, Pearl, and Marina but I don’t think they are as funny as Nora and Wally. However, perhaps Clarke felt he could explore a lot more with a cheating Husband.
The only episode I missed this time around was Woolen Mills of your Mind. This is at least the second time in a row I missed this one (bad timing). Is this the episode where Compo goes in the pub with his dirty gray track suit?

Thoughts anyone?

Wesley had been in the show twice before. Car and Garter and The Loxley Lozenge. I've got a feeling The Loxley Lozenge should have been part of this series, though. It seems it was lifted and became a "seasonal special".

There was also the even earlier episode with Wesley
just appearing in the window of a passing bus. Don't
remember which episode.

Very important series, Series 8.

It bridges the departure of Sid, and the arrival of Howard, Pearl and Marina. It's the last one to feature Foggy, and is just before the arrival of Seymour. It also introduces Crusher, and sees the return of Wesley. And Alan JW Bell directed this series, Sydney Lotterby did Series 7.

If you were to watch Series 7, not bother with Series 8, then watch Series 9, you'd probably wonder what you were watching.

Despite all the changes, Series 8 is one of the very best.

I understood that they initially had Wesley just appear as a guest but they were so impressed they brought himback. Good move on their part! ;D

OK, that was an error on my part to say this was Wesley's debut. However, Who's Looking After the Cafe Then is the start of Wesley appearing regularly.

Howard, Marina and Pearl had been part of the stage play and thus they transferred in at this point.

Howard, Marina and Pearl had been part of the stage play and thus they transferred in at this point.

I may be being a complete div here (more the damned likely!! lol) but I thought a stage play was taken from an actual show's story or continuing story with the same characters, such as the Birds Of A Feather stage show, so....not having got the vines book, how did they do this? I mean what was the stage show about?

From reading the responses in this thread I am discovering the big changes during this Series are due to Bell replacing Lotterby. The first few episodes seem to be of Lotterby's style. Overall the biggest difference between the Lotterby and Bell eras is the number of regulars. Correct me if I am wrong, but the regular cast from Season 3-7 consists of seven characters.

Compo, Clegg, Foggy, Ivy, Sid (eventually replaced by Milburn), Wally, and Nora. By the end of the Series I count eleven regulars with Howard, Pearl, Marina, and Weslewy Added. Season 9 continues with more additions, adding Edie, Glenda, and Barry. I guess I am stating the obvious, but this era really shows significant change. A few months back I commented that the biggest difference between the beginning and the end of Summer Wine is the number of scenes. The resonse I got was this was highly due to the number of characters used.

One more question, was the addition of Howard, Pearl, and Marina more of Clarke's or Bell's idea?

Back