The Genius of Roy Clarke

Big Unc

Dedicated Member
Most impressed with 'Open all Hours' today. Roy Clarke invented 'frats' - a cross between a ferret and a rat. Their existence used by Arkwright to persuade posh lady who thought his store quaint to purchase a number of oil lamps sold as frat detectors - flame turned was it blue in the presence of frats.

I think Roy was at his best writing about the northern typical town: whether in a suburb of Doncaster or Holmfirth. I still see traces in Keighley where I am and have been for 24 years.

I have written before about the comparisons between KUA, OAH, and Summer Wine. To me, I think of Roy Clarke having quite a humorous fantasy world. I love his Commodores, Vicars, bossy wives, etc, and he always seems to have a fun time with the last names of his characters. His outlook on married life doesn't seem to be the brightest!

Regarding his use of Yorkshire as a setting, I have a problem with too many American movies and shows taking place in either New York or Los Angeles. I can appreciate the fact that there are a nice variety of British shows taking place in interesting settings other than London, Summer Wine, OAH, Doc Martin, Fawlty Towers.

Is this a new TV show in England? ???

If you are referring to open all hours, no it dates back to the 70's, details here http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074036/?ref_=sr_1 if you have not seen it then you can get it on DVD and you have a treat in store

Beth, I also highly recommend Open All Hours. Correct me if I am wrong (although I think I wrote about this before), Auntie Wainwright is based off the main character, Mr. Arkwright. He is a very thrifty corner store shopkeeper.

My question is when are they going to build a monument (statue or Bust) or Roy Clarke in Holmfirth or etc.????????

A real shame..!!!!

They did build one of that actor that I suddenly forgot his name, but his character was Inspector Morse and before that Sweeny.

Thanks Dick. Your memory is younger than mine. Maybe we have to hold a board meeting. After all the good shows Roy gave us he deserves one..

Back