the Compo passing away trilogy

manfromoswestry

Dedicated Member
Does anybody else find it hard to watch these three episodes in particular? To see such a pivotal character like Compo no longer in the series was truly heart-breaking. I reflect in particular on the episode "Just A Small Funeral", where the camera shows various nature scenes while the LOTSW theme plays in the background. You see all these places the trio have surely frequented, like the running water in the stream, and it was so sad to realize Compo will never splash in that stream in his wellington boots in the childlike manner we love so much about him. Then, there was the scene where Ivy was preparing for Compo's funeral and came across a picture of Sid. That was another tear-jerker of a moment. Some might even extend the trilogy into the following episode "From Here To Paternity", and in particular, the scene where Clegg orders 3 teas at Ivy's café, only to realize he made a mistake and ordered 2 instead. The look on Ivy's face really conveyed how well she understood the grief Clegg felt for the loss of his friend. I bring all of this up because, a couple of months ago, I got the LOTSW DVD in the mail that has these episodes, and if I watch them again, there's a good chance I'll start crying like a baby, so I can't bring myself to watch them again. Has anyone else had similar issues with this? Please feel free to share your thoughts and comments on this.

I watch the triolgy for the very reasons that you dont. I also think they are very sad and poignant and brilliantly written by Roy Clarke and I find myself drifting in my own thoughts and memories of Compo. And of course with a tear in my eye. :'( :'(

I watch with sadness at the passing of a great actor and character the quality of the writing,acting,is superb.

I watched for the first time after I joined the forum on Utube. I don't think I could watch it again. It was well written and I loved the way they used comedy so respectfully, but I hate crying.

I try and avoid them because there so sad and I like to think of Summer Wine as a happy thing to watch. I can't watch Last Pigeon And Post either because Bill Owen looks so ill.

I love these episodes, so amazingly written, and acted. It an amazing tribute to Bill, and I watch them with mixed feelings.it would be a shame not to watch them albeit for a few tears,you are missing out on three wonderful shows

They are sad but there are nice comic moments brilliantly mixed in. The trilogy is excellently done. However, as great as they are I often skip them when they come on PBS. I am just too used to the other 290 plus episodes being light hearted comedy and when I get ready to watch Summer Wine that is what I am in the moomd for.

Then again, watching less frequently makes them special.

I try and avoid them because there so sad and I like to think of Summer Wine as a happy thing to watch. I can't watch Last Pigeon And Post either because Bill Owen looks so ill.

I agree Pearl, that is so hard to watch, to me it sounds like Bill was even slurring his words a bit. I always wondered if the cancer was causing that or if he maybe had a small stroke or something.
Very hard to watch.

I watched "beware of the hot dog" today and it was nice when truly, tom, and clegg was talking about Compo. Brought back those sad feelings for me, wishing he was still around.

I agree they were wonderfully written considering the situation, but what a tribute to Bill Owen. It showed how much he meant to the show. Haven't seen too many without him (12). The stress that Clegg showed,having known what putting on a funeral can do to a person,was a bit exhausting for him. Then they were good friends from what I gather,so there probably wasn't much acting. Touching. I could watch no problem, but very sad. I cry also. :'(. Those wellies on the casket were a hoot!!!! :respect:

I'm constantly rewatching the series but I often times I either skip that whole series or at least those episodes. I do watch them sometimes, though, but I agree that they are very emotional. That's why I can't handle them every time through.

Yes , thanks for the pictures. Do you think that is the church in the first series where Cyril and Clegg take Compo in to see if he feels anything being in a church? Beautiful Church.

Yes , thanks for the pictures. Do you think that is the church in the first series where Cyril and Clegg take Compo in to see if he feels anything being in a church? Beautiful Church.

Certainly looks like the church in "Inventor of the 40-foot Ferret" with that long path through the graveyard down to the church itself.

yes its the same church, they also used that path in "The Three Astaire's"

Back