The Circus RIP

Adanor

Dedicated Member
Here in the US, the Barnum and Bailey Circus is making it's very last round. The elephants are already gone, llamas, donkeys, pigs, and dogs a poor substitute. But there were still lions and tigers, no bears, of course. Clowns and trapeze artists. May it rest in peace. Another old venerable institution biting the dust.

Sad to see them go. I remember seeing the circus as a kid, great fun. The article I read on them closing down they talked about the logistics of transporting all the animals, their food and all the rest. Incredible the amount of planning that went into the shows. RIP Barnum and Bailey plus the Ringling Brothers... the end of an era.

In certain eras kids always threatened parents that they were going to run away and join the Circus , what can they threaten to join now ? Parking the animal debate the acrobats and certainly the clowns engineered and evening of excitement and a real fun . I can only speak for the UK, sadly other spheres of entertainment have outstripped the Circus in the league table of events to go to and it is just not cost effective , in certain cases , to keep them running . Of course the series of internet incidents involving Clowns scaring Adults and Children did little to help that aspect of circus , Clowns continue to get bad press and are struggling to make a living.

In certain eras kids always threatened parents that they were going to run away and join the Circus , what can they threaten to join now ? Parking the animal debate the acrobats and certainly the clowns engineered and evening of excitement and a real fun . I can only speak for the UK, sadly other spheres of entertainment have outstripped the Circus in the league table of events to go to and it is just not cost effective , in certain cases , to keep them running . Of course the series of internet incidents involving Clowns scaring Adults and Children did little to help that aspect of circus , Clowns continue to get bad press and are struggling to make a living.

We still get a circus every so often but not with animals I believe as I have not been.

In the 1950s I always remember the clowns with cars that fell apart - rather like my father's Austin 10 did anyway!

At one of my local Museums there is an exhibition charting the History of Circus visiting the Newcastle and North East area including some exhibits which have been loaned to the Museum . The most interesting to me personally was the Bowler Hat , Clarinet and This is Your Life book belonging to Charlie Cairoli who I was taken to see by my parents at the Blackpool Tower Circus when I was a child and to see them close up albeit behind glass was wonderful. I have added a couple of pictures one showing Charlie's things the other Costumes from various circus shows and also a display of eggs which depict the different clown character faces which were fascinating .

I also have just learnt that there is a site dedicated to circus in the same vein as Wikapedia for anyone interested the link is

http://www.circopedia.org/

IMG_1691.JPG

IMG_1700.JPG

IMG_1702.JPG

I have mixed feelings.. Never a huge fan of how the animals were treated...
BUT
Our kids/grandkids are going to inherit such a sterile world surrounded by PC and fun police every time they try and do something.
Its like that here now. Kids cant build cubby houses without full council plans and permits...

Like you Bruce I would not condone the use of Animals in such things as Circus , its sadly a part of the History of that genre of entertainment but thankfully the penny eventually dropped and it is now a thing of the past in Circus, certainly in the UK cannot speak for other foreign climes .

Clowns ,when I was a child , were a thing of joy now sadly with all these idiots latching onto a darker side, promoted by sinister books and movies , they have robbed the current generation of a source of great mirth. What was not to laugh about when a car exploded with all the doors falling off or a custard pie "placed" in some unsuspecting person's boat race . :)

Back in the day when there was no TV, no radio, and no movies; and when the circus came to town it was a major event. Everything in that town stopped. That was the only time you could see elephants, lions, tigers, etc. The clowns, acrobats, and the other circus acts were fascinating and everyone was awestruck. But nowadays, the circus was just another thing. You could stay home and watch tons of stuff on TV, go to a movie, a play or concert. or go to the circus. Then there was the pressure from PETA about animal abuse. So it's the end of an era.

Back in the day when there was no TV, no radio, and no movies; and when the circus came to town it was a major event. Everything in that town stopped. That was the only time you could see elephants, lions, tigers, etc. The clowns, acrobats, and the other circus acts were fascinating and everyone was awestruck. But nowadays, the circus was just another thing. You could stay home and watch tons of stuff on TV, go to a movie, a play or concert. or go to the circus. Then there was the pressure from PETA about animal abuse. So it's the end of an era.
Yep... you are right
Reminds me of a great old Aussie movie - The Pictureshow Man.. story of the old travelling pictureshow men
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076542/

Thanks Bruce for the reference never seen the film looked it up as I am an Amazon Prime Customer I can watch on their video service so definitely going to give it a spin.

Yep... you are right
Reminds me of a great old Aussie movie - The Pictureshow Man.. story of the old travelling pictureshow men
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076542/

Hello Bruce,

I have just watched the film really good movie thoroughly enjoyed it , I knew Rod Taylor but it was a surprise to see Patrick Cargill who was a biggish star in the UK . I remember seeing him being interviewed and Oz was his second home so whilst there he must have decided to audition for some parts in films . I am pretty sure I spotted an old Irish actor Sam Kydd who had a bit part as an extra in one of the Cinema audiences but I could be wrong . He played in all sorts of films and TV shows in the UK never a star always an extra but think of any play, film, comedy or Drama in the sixties and he was probably in it . He did not get a credit for the film but I am fairly certain it was him .

Hello Bruce,

I have just watched the film really good movie thoroughly enjoyed it , I knew Rod Taylor but it was a surprise to see Patrick Cargill who was a biggish star in the UK . I remember seeing him being interviewed and Oz was his second home so whilst there he must have decided to audition for some parts in films . I am pretty sure I spotted an old Irish actor Sam Kydd who had a bit part as an extra in one of the Cinema audiences but I could be wrong . He played in all sorts of films and TV shows in the UK never a star always an extra but think of any play, film, comedy or Drama in the sixties and he was probably in it . He did not get a credit for the film but I am fairly certain it was him .
Mate thats great, glad you enjoyed it.. Shows how tuff life was back then (for those of me that are too young).. I love the movie, and the catchy theme song! Might watch it tonight again !

Back