The Café and Grime

wstol

Dedicated Member
Partly inspired by the Café and Cigarettes topic.

I like the early episodes where the café was a bit shabby - all this changed during Series Six.

In Series Three the café is at it's shabbiest - it's really black with dirt and grime.

Do we think the designer for Series Three over-did things?

When you look how immaculate Ivy kept the café after it was re-decorated in Series Six, would she really have let it get so bad as it was in Series Three?

I think it was a basic greasy spoon operation, I knew a few like that. The only time I got food poisoning was from a very clean chip shop, I think we had more immunity when we ate a little muck now and then.

When I was working and driving around I would far rather stop at a lay-by mobile catering caravan or the like than go to a service station but if I could try anything now it would be a breakfast cooked on the coal shovel on a Steam Engine I can taste it now as I am typing.

When I was working and driving around I would far rather stop at a lay-by mobile catering caravan or the like than go to a service station but if I could try anything now it would be a breakfast cooked on the coal shovel on a Steam Engine I can taste it now as I am typing.
I used to work on one of those, it was a good job, I could tell you s few stories there.

I think it was a basic greasy spoon operation, I knew a few like that. The only time I got food poisoning was from a very clean chip shop, I think we had more immunity when we ate a little muck now and then.
This also goes along with the theory that kids that make mud pies and play in the dirt are actually picking up good organisms and do not suffer from allergies. The kids that stay inside hooked to their devices are more likely to suffer from allergies.

This also goes along with the theory that kids that make mud pies and play in the dirt are actually picking up good organisms and do not suffer from allergies. The kids that stay inside hooked to their devices are more likely to suffer from allergies.
Not always true but the same principle, one of my grandchildren is lactose intolerant and alone with other intolerances and she ate plenty of mud and worms, all mine have. The main outcome of staying inside all the time is going to be Vitamin D deficiency, we see so many pale kids these days.

I often wonder if the intolerances have always been there but we make more of them now or whether the changes in peoples diet over the years and the way that manufacturing process have changed, all the organisms that we once swallowed and our bodies coped with have been refined out of food and that has driven us to be intolerant .

How would lactose intolerance have been handled when you used to get your little bottle of milk at school, which I fondly remember , I don''t recall ever anyone being excluded on health grounds from drinking it. You were actively encouraged to drink it , normally by a teacher who had passed all their exams but failed elementary Charm, because it was good for you . I think the emphasis at that juncture was to ensure you took on enough Calcium.

My only problem with the school milk was that it sat on the radiator all morning before it was handed out.

Did you ever use a pin and put a hole in the foil milk top , you then blow through the hole and you then hold it at arms length and drink from the stream of milk, a bit like you have probably done with wine from a Porron in Spain .

From what I remember it was handed round with the tops off and with a straw. I still hate unfilled milk, spent most of the afternoon feeling sick

Yes it was just milk in those days Blue top as it is now but there's more choice now especially when you go into the Coffee shops , semi skimmed, skimmed , oat, Almond, Soy what next who knows . I am surprised they don't offer long life [which in my early days was Puroh] which they do in many Cafe's in Spain and Greece.

I often wonder if the intolerances have always been there but we make more of them now or whether the changes in peoples diet over the years and the way that manufacturing process have changed, all the organisms that we once swallowed and our bodies coped with have been refined out of food and that has driven us to be intolerant .

How would lactose intolerance have been handled when you used to get your little bottle of milk at school, which I fondly remember , I don''t recall ever anyone being excluded on health grounds from drinking it. You were actively encouraged to drink it , normally by a teacher who had passed all their exams but failed elementary Charm, because it was good for you . I think the emphasis at that juncture was to ensure you took on enough Calcium.
My nephew went through years of stomach issues until a new doctor mentioned that it could be lactose intolerance and it was. Many Asians and Blacks cannot tolerate milk at all. Which is a problem when it is the only choice in school. Whether you can or cannot tolerate milk is solely related to the way your body is wired.

Back