The Big Episode top 20 Poll

I see where your going Big Unc, yes would be nice to know. I voted for it but its defiantly not my first chose.

It´s almost my first choice. I only voted for 14 because I didn´t want those to win that I just picked because I had to vote for 6 more, so I agree, it´s not a genuine top episode poll.
My personal favourites are Greenfingers, Bicycle made for three and Full steam behind, but it´s very hard to decide. Give me season 5 and 6 and I´m happy.

With nineteen voters I note that there are 323 votes (if i counted correctly) averaging 17 each out of the potential 361.

I see where Big Unc is leading to in his analysis but I guess might be more complex to calculate and that would not be fair on Terry.

I agree with **** that seasons 5 and 6 are the epitome.

Possibly we could have a top one out of the top 20 - 1 vote for the very top episode. But then we might get weary of all this voting.

As it is 19 voters out of our constituency of about 150 or so (can not remember exactly where we are) is not exactly a large turnout.

Further to last post there are 251 members but many have never posted; 56 have made it beyond newbie status (20 posts plus) so about a third turnout!

Actually the active ones are about the top 30 or so posters so 19 replies is quite good.

With nineteen voters I note that there are 323 votes (if i counted correctly) averaging 17 each out of the potential 361.

That is interesting in that it implies some did not use their full complement of twenty. However, I recall at least one saying his/her votes were not accepted until he/she had selected the full twenty.

That is interesting in that it implies some did not use their full complement of twenty. However, I recall at least one saying his/her votes were not accepted until he/she had selected the full twenty.

Yes I found that strange. I did not use my full complement.

I voted but didnt use my full twenty as there are episodes listed that wouldnt be a fav of mine.

Hector

even though some of the list didnt have my favourites in i did just about get it up to 20 votes although the last 1 or 2 was hard to decide on

If we ever get to vote on the best scene I'm voting for the scene at the end of A Short Blast Of Fred Astaire when their all standing at the bus stop and start to dance, I've just watched it now and I'm in stitches with it :D :D

That is a great Scene Susan always makes me laugh as well. :)

I am using this thread to praise of episodes as well. Earlier I posted about truly only being able to vote for a top 14 in that list. Don't get me wrong, I certainly didn't mean that as a complaint.

Anyway, I am currently watching Summer Wine from beginning to end consistently for the third time. I am wrapping up Season 22 and just saw "Coming of the Beast". I saw it before but this time I really able to concentrate on it. I think that is a great episode! I may post comments on it in its own thread later.

Anyway, it was just another one of those classics, in my opinion.

My latest analysis (at twenty voters stage) gives us fifteen episodes after elimination of also-rans:

A Bicycle Made for Three: 18 (5.2%)
Full Steam Behind: 17 (4.9%)
Just a small Funeral: 16 (4.6%)
Elegy for Fallen Wellies: 16 (4.6%)
Three Men and a Mangle: 15 (4.3%)
The Changing Face of Rural Blamire: 15 (4.3%)
Greenfingers: 15 (4.3%)
Great Boarding House Bathroom Caper: 14 (4%)
The New Mobile Trio: 13 (3.7%)
Return of the Warrior : 13 (3.7%)
The Mysterious Feet of Nora Batty: 13 (3.7%)
Destiny and Six Bananas: 13 (3.7%)
When You take a good Bite, Yorkshire Tastes Terrible: 11 (3.2%)
Ordeal By Trousers: 11 (3.2%)
The Defeat of the Stoneworm: 11 (3.2%)

(If anyone is wondering, the addition is "Ordeal by Trousers".)

Let's be even more vigorous in our selection. Top seven:

A Bicycle Made for Three: 18 (5.2%)
Full Steam Behind: 17 (4.9%)
Just a small Funeral: 16 (4.6%)
Elegy for Fallen Wellies: 16 (4.6%)
Three Men and a Mangle: 15 (4.3%)
The Changing Face of Rural Blamire: 15 (4.3%)
Greenfingers: 15 (4.3%)

Maybe from this we can say that favourite Blamire episode is "The Changing Face of Rural Blamire" (and I think "Ballad for Wind Instruments and Canoe" far, far superior).
Favourite Seymour episode is "Three Men and a Mangle". Interesting to conjecture if that had been a Foggy episode (because for me it was far superior to "A Bicycle Made for Three").

But I would suggest that given the survey methodology and allowing for statistical error, the overall conclusion can only be that favourite lies in amongst those seven.

Back