The Big Episode top 20 Poll

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
So here it is folks, the poll to pick your top 20 episodes from the entire series (Less Specials),the poll closes New Years Eve,happy voting

Out of this grouping I have found what I believe are 14 outstanding episodes while the rest were simply solid. Therefor I selected those 14 that really stand out to me.

got my 20 votes in, i went for "The New Mobile Trio", "The Changing Face of Rural Blamire", "Full Steam Behind", "A Bicycle Made for Three", "The Mysterious Feet of Nora Batty", "The Treasure of the Deep", "Three Men and a Mangle", "Return of the Warrior", "Ordeal by trousers", "The Black Widow", "The Defeat of the Stoneworm", "Destiny and Six Bananas", "Elegy for Fallen Wellies", "Just a Small Funeral", "Gnome and Away", "The Lair of the Cat Creature", "The Swan Man of Ilkley", "The Genuine Outdoors Robin Hood Barbi", "The Crowcroft Challenge" and "It's Never Ten Years". dont ask me to put them in order 1-20 cause i couldnt, theres to many great episodes i would want at number 1, people might think that why aint i voted for the two hobbo ones seeing i like that period of the show simple reason, "Goodnight Sweet Ferret" and "How Not to Cry at Weddings" werent my favourites from them 2 series of the show, a very difficult decision to pick 20 though maltrab there was a couple i could have easily gone for with more votes available.

The Changing Face of Rural Blamire
Great Boarding House Bathroom Caper
Full Steam Behind
A Bicycle Made for Three
The Frozen Turkey Man
Cheering up Ludovic
When You take a good bite,Yorkshire Taste Terrible
Three Men and a Mangle
Return of the Warrior
The Black Widow
The Defeat of the Stoneworm
Bicycle Bonanza
Destiny and Six Bananas
Nowhere Particular
The Phantom number 14 Bus -
Elegy for Fallen Wellies
Just a small Funeral
Gnome and Away
The Lair of the Cat Creature -
The Swan Man of Ilkley
How Not to Cry at Weddings

Out of this grouping I have found what I believe are 14 outstanding episodes while the rest were simply solid. Therefor I selected those 14 that really stand out to me.

That does make sense to me. Maybe 20 is an excessive number out of a total of 35. I do seem to recall some statistical rule that one can only get meaningful results when selection is limited to a maximum of half the available choices.

That does make sense to me. Maybe 20 is an excessive number out of a total of 35. I do seem to recall some statistical rule that one can only get meaningful results when selection is limited to a maximum of half the available choices.

Of course, to be really meaningful we should be using the Single Transferable Vote (STV) system and designating our order of choice. (Or, to be absolutely correct, if we are after finding a single winner, it is the Alternative Vote (AV) system). But that takes a might of counting and recounting at the end. But as it is, we are giving as much weight to our twentieth choice as to our first choice.

But then again, I could be lying.

I've made my selection, quite easy really just choose your favouite first then work your way down to your 20th vote the one with the most votes is the winner. If 2 or more get the same number of votes call it a draw and let Terry have a rest.

Thank you Terry for all your hard work I for one have really enjoyed doing the polls :)

I voted for 20 ,no problem except that one of my favourites did not make the list ! I will abide by the majority though ;D

Yes I think I made 14 and then worked down to 20. Looking at what is in so far it it looks as though the top 5 or 6 are beginning to develop.

If we ever get to vote on the best scene I'm voting for the scene at the end of A Short Blast Of Fred Astaire when their all standing at the bus stop and start to dance, I've just watched it now and I'm in stitches with it :D :D

OK, I stand corrected. My original vote wasn't accepted, so I added 6 more. For conversations sake, my main 14 are....

Mobile Trio
Bathroom Caper
Greenfingers
Full Steam Behind
Bicycle made for three
Mysterious Feet
Three Men and a Mangle
Return of the Warrior
Stone Worm
Destiny and Six Bananas
Fallen Wellies
Small Funeral
Gnome and Away
Lair of the Cat Creature

Six that I truly wanted to vote for (and my preferences are often quite different from others here) are....

Short Back and Palais Glide
Going to Gordon's Wedding
In Service to Humanity
Set the People Free
Come In Sun-Ray Major
Follow that Bottle

Oops, I forgot about Surprise at Throstlesnest. Do you know that one is my very favorite out of the triology.

Now I a adding to the list, but one episode I just saw for the third time that stands out as particularly good, is Late Pick-Up of the Ming Dynasty. It is one of those episodes where the gang aimlessly wanders around a bit not accomplishing much. The balance of the cast and storyline was just right.

Agree - I think I got about 14 or so and left it at that.

My vote is in it was not easy to choose from this list. :)
Agree Amos, it`s so difficult to choose.There were so many memorable episodes and it`s not easy to pass some of them by.I agonized over some of my decisions but it will be very interesting to see the end result.

The state of play with seventeen voters - on basis of previous polls there might be one or two more:

The New Mobile Trio 12 (3.7%)
The Changing Face of Rural Blamire 14 (4.3%)
Great Boarding House Bathroom Caper 13 (4%)
Greenfingers 13 (4%)
Full Steam Behind 15 (4.7%)
A Bicycle Made for Three 16 (5%)
The Frozen Turkey Man 9 (2.8%)
Cheering up Ludovic 7 (2.2%)
The Mysterious Feet of Nora Batty 12 (3.7%)
When You take a good bite,Yorkshire Taste Terrible 11 (3.4%)
The Treasure of the Deep 10 (3.1%)
Three Men and a Mangle 14 (4.3%)
Return of the Warrior 13 (4%)
Give us a Lift 6 (1.9%)
Ordeal By Trousers 10 (3.1%)
The Black Widow 6 (1.9%)
The Defeat of the Stoneworm 11 (3.4%)
Bicycle Bonanza 6 (1.9%)
The Thing is Wesley's Shed 6 (1.9%)
Brushes at Dawn 5 (1.6%)
Destiny and Six Bananas 12 (3.7%)
Nowhere Particular 6 (1.9%)
The Phantom number 14 Bus 7 (2.2%)
Elegy for Fallen Wellies 15 (4.7%)
Just a small Funeral 15 (4.7%)
Gnome and Away 5 (1.6%)
The Incredible Ordeal of Norman Clegg 5 (1.6%)
The Lair of the Cat Creature 6 (1.9%)
Beware of Laughing at Nora's Hats 3 (0.9%)
The Swan Man of Ilkley 8 (2.5%)
The Genuine Outdoors Robin Hood Barbi 3 (0.9%)
The Crowcroft Challenge 6 (1.9%)
It's Never Ten Years 10 (3.1%)
Goodnight Sweet Ferret 5 (1.6%)
How Not to Cry at Weddings 7 (2.2%)

Eliminating the now very much also-rans, bringing it down to fourteen episodes and putting in order of votes:

A Bicycle Made for Three: 16 (5%)
Just a small Funeral: 15 (4.7%)
Full Steam Behind: 15 (4.7%)
Elegy for Fallen Wellies: 15 (4.7%)
Three Men and a Mangle: 14 (4.3%)
The Changing Face of Rural Blamire: 14 (4.3%)
Return of the Warrior : 13 (4%)
Greenfingers: 13 (4%)
Great Boarding House Bathroom Caper: 13 (4%)
The New Mobile Trio: 12 (3.7%)
The Mysterious Feet of Nora Batty: 12 (3.7%)
Destiny and Six Bananas: 12 (3.7%)
When You take a good bite,Yorkshire Tastes Terrible: 11 (3.4%)
The Defeat of the Stoneworm: 11 (3.4%)

All this is telling me is that "A Bicycle Made for Three" got everyone's top twenty vote except one (and I know who that one is), "Just a small Funeral", "Full Steam Behind" and "Elegy for Fallen Wellies" got all except two and so forth. It certainly does not say to me that "A Bicycle Made for Three" is the most popular episode. It just says it is the least disliked episode. We really would need to know how many first-preference votes each of these episodes got to really establish a genuine favourite.

Back