Technology

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
Technology and I don't get along. I am still in my 30's but I might as well be in my 80's because I just can't keep up with the times. Oddly enough, approx. 20 years ago, it was estimated that technology would make our lives easier and that we would actually work less. How has that been working for us???

I won't even begin venting about the need to keep 50 different passwords, instead I will discuss phone service. I always joke with my wife whenever I am tied up with automated systems for a while and I finally get connected to a direct line to a person. I say excitedly, "Honey, I am getting a real human being!".

I remember travelling a lot in the 1990's and very early 2000's. In order to make hotel arrangements I would get the phone number for the hotel and call. A desk attendant would answer the phone and put me on hold for a minute as they checked for vacancy on certain dates. I traveled to Pittsburgh this weekend and I looked up a hotel online. I had to type in the dates as well as the location to get the hotel. It stated that it was completely booked for the whole week and I just needed one night. I thought to myself "let me call them directly and speak to a person just to make sure" (I know, I am still very naive). Their 1-800 numbers were all over the website but I had to look further to find the NUMBER of the ACTUAL HOTEL. I called the number and a desk clerk answered. I knidly asked about vancancies and immediately she said "Let me connect you to the reservations line" (which was probavbly overseas).

How did things ever get this bad? Do things have to be with way now? I guess as long as I am in the industrialized world this is what I have to deal with,.

50 passwords?
I have one, I know I know but it's either that or I write them down.

I hate talking to machines too especially the ones you have to answer by speaking, by the time you have said yes or no 20 times and the tone of your voice is so high pitched the stupid machine has hung up on you.

It all boils down that companies do not want to pay for staff, they invest in a machine instead, they think this will solve all their problems,they jump up and down at the engineers when they don't work as they are loosing customers,they often go wrong or the customer gets fed up and walks away,to add to insult in the UK they get you to call these machine via rip off telephone numbers,the machine will make sure you are in a queue long enough to make them an extra few bob,if you are fed up by the time you speak to a human if you make any sort of comment about your wait time,they will probably just cut you off,if it is a fault number you are calling they know you will have to call back and waste more time and money,I urge people not to deal with these companies if they cannot or will not give you a real telephone number, Sky TV has a 0800 number and if you call that you are answered by a human in 10-15 seconds,call the 0844 number and you can be waiting 30 minutes, and that is even if you are trying to become a customer,not for me thank you

A few years back I was phoning round to get some car insurance quotes and got so p'ed off with the machines I just moved on then I phone one place and human answered, I didn't know what to say to her! I ended up going with that company even though it wasn't the cheapest and I told her to tell her bosses the reason I went with them was because a human being answered the phone, she promised to pass it on.

For me, the worst thing about talking to machines is if they don't recognize your yes or no answers, then they either cut you off or you have to start over again. Often, when I am on the phone with machines, my 3 year old will be yelling in the background, the machine won't pick up my answer. One time I sneezed, and that completely messed up my phone call with the machine!

For me, the worst thing about talking to machines is if they don't recognize your yes or no answers, then they either cut you off or you have to start over again. Often, when I am on the phone with machines, my 3 year old will be yelling in the background, the machine won't pick up my answer. One time I sneezed, and that completely messed up my phone call with the machine!
lol. Too funny. I understand. My pet peeve with technology is on the computer. You may follow a link but find out they want money for you to look at the link. You end the process but somehow they have my email and contact me endlessly.

I just start pushing all the buttons at once, I think the computer freaks out and hooks me up to a live person. ;D

I agree with all of you, I want a live person.

Although, if it wasn't for technology, I wouldn't have met all you fine folks!!!:17:

I just start pushing all the buttons at once, I think the computer freaks out and hooks me up to a live person. ;D

I agree with all of you, I want a live person.

Although, if it wasn't for technology, I wouldn't have met all you fine folks!!!:17:
what a nice thing to say Wesley. :)

I HATE all this new technology everywhere.

I'm using the word HATE here.

I hate all the fuss trying to phone up a company. All I want to do is speak to a human being. I took a chance and phoned a large company about something fairly important on a bank holiday. Five minutes later, having through all the various options, they then tell me through a recording they are in fact shut.

Why can't they let me know earlier.

I'm fed up with computers that don't do want they are supposed to do. I'm fed up with digital TV not doing what it's supposed to do. I'm fed up with people with mobile phones thinking you can drop whatever you're doing and sort them out. I'm fed up with people who can't live without iPods and Facebook. I'm fed up with being told I can't unwind a car window because the driver says it messes up his air conditioner. I'm fed up with being invited out, only to find the host and guests glued to their mobile telephones and the like. I'm fed up trying to see the improved picture on someone's lastest television set - it's still the same cruddy programme.

I could go on. And on.

It's NEVER, NEVER going to be like it used to be. It WAS easier 15 and more years ago. The world has gone mad, obsessed with technology that doesn't really help anyone.

I feel sorry most for children. I don't think they have proper childhoods anymore. I can't help thinking some technology should be for those over 18.

I feel sorry for older people, who are being forced to adapt, as the old ways are rapidly going.

And I feel sorry for those who feel compelled to keep up to date, and forget about real life.

That's all.

I worked in IT for many years and agree with much of what you folks say : we are all bombarded with so much these days, I some times feel I am stuck to a merry-go-round which is going faster and faster. Listening to Beethoven, reading a proper book (the ones with words on paper !!) and watching Summer Wine, that and a walk in the country keep me reasonably sane.
I know we tend to look on the past with rose tinted spectacles, but I do yearn for a slower pace, life is such a rush these days.

Back