Sugar

barmpot

LOTSW Fanatic
I note that the experts are trying to reduce the amount of sugar in our food.

This fine, but of course sugars were put in to replace the fats which were removed, for health reasons!

The other trick is to use more sweeteners. Fine if you do not mind the taste of sweeteners - personally I found their taste so strong that all I can taste is sweetener. Ugh.

I have noticed that nearly all toothpaste haas sweetener in - I have only found two without! Many drinks have sweeteners added instead of sugar but to me, it tastes of sweetener not the "flavour" it is meant to be.

I would quite happy to have zero additive and accept it as sweet or not as it is - naturally. However some do find that sweeteners are a better alternative to the sugars.

Just wondering - what is everyone's take on sugar?

Any one else has a saccharine phobia? :) :) :)

Any one else has a saccharine phobia? :) :) :)

My body reacts very badly to most artificial sweeteners, so I avoid them like the plague. Fortunately as I age I'm losing my liking for sugar so I prefer to take foods as they come - naturally sweet or not sweet at all. This is probably heresy, but because I'm lactose intolerant, I take my tea and coffee clear and unsweetened.

Marianna

Sweeteners are just as bad if not worse than sugar! I hate sweeteners and sugar free products. Are we becoming a nanny state?

Yes it can be a drain on the NHS but so is alcohol and no ones trying to ban that! Are they?

We limit the amount of sugar and fat the kids eat. We have an open fruit bowl anyone can have fruit whenever they like as a result all the kids love fruit and vegetables, I often slice up carrots and cucumber and just put them on the table, its like feeding parana !

Last edited:
My body reacts very badly to most artificial sweeteners, so I avoid them like the plague. Fortunately as I age I'm losing my liking for sugar so I prefer to take foods as they come - naturally sweet or not sweet at all. This is probably heresy, but because I'm lactose intolerant, I take my tea and coffee clear and unsweetened.

Marianna

My husband is the same anything with sweeteners in goes straight through him.

I think the problem is none of the so called experts can make their minds up

Take Aspirin it will help avoid stokes- sorry we found out they don't help at all
Don't eat butter but margarine- oh butter is better and safer than margarine
Statin's will save the world- stop taking statin's
Put butter on burns - no don't use water

And I'm sure there are dozen's more examples over the years where they say one thing and retract it later

Me I have a small amount of sugar in my tea

This is a very interesting subject. You can literally go round and round on this merry-go-round of sugar vs. fat, artificial sugar vs. real sugar and we have discovered that BIG FOOD has been loading various foods with different types of artificial sweeteners or different types of fats or a combination thereof. How healthy is it to flood your digestive tract with all of these additives and preservatives?

One option is to go back to basics and do basic home cooking. By cooking from scratch, preservatives and additives can be eliminated, fats and sweeteners can be controlled, and the nutritional value can be increased. And it is quite possible that a very subtle campaign has been going on for quite some time to steer everyone from cooking from scratch to eating a variety of semi-prepared foods, prepared foods, fast foods, and all sorts of junk foods. Is it difficult to cook from scratch? Yes at first, but as you continue to explore and develop your own personal list of really good recipes, ingredients, and methods; it will become easier and easier. And yes, it might be difficult to find the time to do the actual cooking, but a little perseverance and planning goes a long way.

I came from a home where both parents worked full time but we always had a large meal at tea time cooked from scratch, its easier than people think, we very rarely eat out ( I didn't see the inside of a Mcdonalds until I was nearly 30) and I hate pepper so pre-prepared food is not really an option for me and homemade is cheaper and tastes nicer. We had cooking classes every week, they should be brought back for boys and girls.

The Smash advert in the 70s was all about getting people to eat rubbish but we couldn't afford it ( thank god) so had the proper mash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKt-KR1TsRg

Last edited:
ANY sugar is bad for you. Sugar is food to cancer, those are the cells it goes right to first. So we enable cancer to grow by using sugars. That being said, I am guilty of using regular sugar at times. We have to retrain our taste buds to do without. Stop using the sweeteners! Try raw honey in black tea, coconut oil or Xylitol.

I came from a home where both parents worked full time but we always had a large meal at tea time cooked from scratch, its easier than people think, we very rarely eat out ( I didn't see the inside of a Mcdonalds until I was nearly 30) and I hate pepper so pre-prepared food is not really an option for me and homemade is cheaper and tastes nicer. We had cooking classes every week, they should be brought back for boys and girls.

The Smash advert in the 70s was all about getting people to eat rubbish but we couldn't afford it ( thank god) so had the proper mash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKt-KR1TsRg

Maybe if they brought back school cookery classes there would be less obesity?? We can always hope!:confused:

ANY sugar is bad for you. Sugar is food to cancer, those are the cells it goes right to first. So we enable cancer to grow by using sugars. That being said, I am guilty of using regular sugar at times. We have to retrain our taste buds to do without. Stop using the sweeteners! Try raw honey in black tea, coconut oil or Xylitol.
I hadn't heard that too much sugar is a predisposition to cancer. That is interesting. I have heard that sweeteners are more dangerous than too much sugars but never had to worry because they give me headaches.

Sweeteners are just as bad if not worse than sugar! I hate sweeteners and sugar free products. Are we becoming a nanny state?

Agree, sweeteners are worse. Here in the states they are wanting to artificial sweeteners in our milk! I don't think anyone is complaining about milk not being sweet enough,but some sweeteners are linked to estrogen inhibitors, giving men more estrogen than they need. Causing health problems. Some think they are trying to control us thru our foods. I don't think they have done it yet. Hope not. Trying to get hubby on almond milk.

I always used to have sugar in my tea. Cant stand it now. I have a friend who has about five per cup. .

I'm an adherent of Michael Pollan's aphorism, 'Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.' The key is in the definition of food - it doesn't include what he calls 'edible food-like substances'. That washes out artificial sweeteners, high-fructose corn syrup and man-made trans-fats, among many other things.

He's written several books. The one I quoted from is In Defense of Food.

Marianna

Back