Still Open All Hours

I am surprised,with Roy Clarke 89 in a few weeks and David Jason 10 years behind him, in fact several more of the cast are well past retirement age even in today's requirements

I am surprised too, but you have to applaud the longetivity of Roy Clarke's work.

I was amazed after Compo's death, LOTSW ran for another 10 years.

I'm amazed after nearly 10 years since the end of LOTSW, Roy Clarke is still writing, and that the BBC is still commissioning the kind of show that they got so embarrassed about ie Last of the Summer Wine.

I have given up expecting Still Open All Hours to be good now. The first episodes were interesting, the premise was good, but it's all looking very tired now.

I've gathered the impression that Roy Clarke would write whether or not there was a market for his work. In one of the books about LOTSW, his wife described a holiday, fairly early in their marriage, when she was determined that he was going to relax and have fun, so she forbade him to take any writing materials. Instead of relaxing, he was more like a fidgety lost soul. He finally gave up, when to the local store and bought paper and pencils, and started writing. It's almost as though his brain is continually seething with ideas and he can't settle until he offloads them in the form of a script.

I am surprised,with Roy Clarke 89 in a few weeks and David Jason 10 years behind him, in fact several more of the cast are well past retirement age even in today's requirements
So what is retirement? They prefer to keep on keeping on.

So what is retirement? They prefer to keep on keeping on.

I do admire these folk for the way they just keep going, especially with the hours they put in when filming, usually 6 days a week, they sure do put some of the younger generation to shame

I do admire these folk for the way they just keep going, especially with the hours they put in when filming, usually 6 days a week, they sure do put some of the younger generation to shame

It's an entirely different line of work, but one of my friends, currently pushing age 80, works two part-time jobs as a dietitian specializing in nutrition for the elderly, her area of professional area of expertise. Both require considerable time on the road. She's also the owner and operator of a cat sitting service, also requiring a great deal of driving for the morning and evening visits. She doesn't ever seem tired, partly due to taking her own nutritional advice and partly because she enjoys the work.

Back