Still Open All Hours?

I note all the above comments, it's not perfect but I think its inoffensive and mildly amusing to watch. Playing devils advocate, would we be critisising the BBC for lack of originality if they'd continued with LOTSW for another 10 years?

I would simply be honest if I thought LOTSW had become stale then I would have to say that despite loving the show . There is really no place for sentiment when something has clearly passed its sell by date and that applies to any show, favourite or otherwise . I think it's rather sad when shows become shadows of their former glory .

If they had made another series, I would have watched it. I'd have to agree that it's run it's course now.
It was nice to see the show revived and it had a good life, perhaps a series more than it deserved.

Sorry Inky my like is for the fact they have realised their mistake and cancelled the show at last . I have expressed my opinion several times and the show should have ended when Ronnie B decided to retire . I wouldn't normally criticise Roy Clarke but I have struggled to understand why he would even agree to write it other than being offered stupid money by the BBC . The plots from series one made it blindingly obvious they should never have made it . The biggest faux pas of all from Roy Clarke was having the Black Widow wishing to be romantically entwined with Granville which was just ludicrous when you consider her attitude towards him in the original show.

There were a lot of missed opportunities in this re-make, it could have been so good, but relied on tired old plots.

They could have made a clever social distancing episode, with arrows on the floor and people only paying by card, and even reduced opening hours.

Endless possibilities for fresh new ideas, but this show doesn't do many new ideas.

There were a lot of missed opportunities in this re-make, it could have been so good, but relied on tired old plots.

They could have made a clever social distancing episode, with arrows on the floor and people only paying by card, and even reduced opening hours.

Endless possibilities for fresh new ideas, but this show doesn't do many new ideas.
You would think so... but no show seems to have "fresh" ideas nor want to explore new ideas without swearing, boobs, love plots, or stuff from the 1920's.
USA are now just relying on remakes of everything, and tired old jokes you can see coming from 109423809384302948 klms away - where you cringe thinking they cant be doing that old joke again - but they do... and the canned laughter makes you want jump infront of a truck.

You mention the USA. I hear there is a very good chance Frasier will be brought back.

With a good script, this just could work out...

After this Corona thing, I think we need some good comedy from some familiar faces.

When we left Frasier he was chasing Charlotte by taking a plane to Chicago so I guess they could pick up the story with him living there , sadly John Mahoney passed away so there would be no more cut and thrust between Father and Son. With David Hyde Pierce seemingly a definite no that probably also would not see a return of Jane Leeves as Daphne . It appears Peri Gilpin is up for it and her moving to Chicago could easily be written in . The question is would it be a must watch . I'm afraid for me it would be a resounding NO , the sad loss of John Mahoney equates to Ronnie Barker for me with Open/Still Open All Hours and should be left alone .

When we left Frasier he was chasing Charlotte by taking a plane to Chicago so I guess they could pick up the story with him living there , sadly John Mahoney passed away so there would be no more cut and thrust between Father and Son. With David Hyde Pierce seemingly a definite no that probably also would not see a return of Jane Leeves as Daphne . It appears Peri Gilpin is up for it and her moving to Chicago could easily be written in . The question is would it be a must watch . I'm afraid for me it would be a resounding NO , the sad loss of John Mahoney equates to Ronnie Barker for me with Open/Still Open All Hours and should be left alone .
I agree, I loved Fraser but without the additional cast we're just left with a whiny windbag.
And for me Still Open All Hours isn't a patch on the old one, they should have left it alone.

The cast of Cheers was significantly different to Frasier. Maybe this third incarnation should have several cast changes.

I imagine a new setting would be required, if this series is to be fresh and not to be compared too much with the earlier series.

To make it exactly the same probably would be wrong, as, like in Frasier, the character moves on.

As for John Mahoney - a funeral and reunion needed, could be so well written.

And with Frasier's son now in his 30s, great opportunity for more father and son comedy.

You mention the USA. I hear there is a very good chance Frasier will be brought back.

More desperation - its been done, let it die...
COME UP WITH SOMETHING NEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never found him funny what so ever, like Seinfield... never thought he was funny at all either!

Every new show seems to be some form of energency show, cops, or ambo or rescue..... There is nothing new.. just same old same old same old ... kill me

And for me Still Open All Hours isn't a patch on the old one, they should have left it alone.
^^^ this x billions.. leave old shows alone. They are successful, just let them be.
I dont know any remake that wasnt a disaster.. like Blues Brothers 2000, or the politically correct version of Ghost Busters etc etc

Back