Still Open All Hours?

He had quite a varied career when you read IMDB , he had started in 1959 with his last role in 2010 which is some time to be acting . He never really had a starring role lots of of single appearances in lots of shows been in both Coronation Street and Eastenders but I guess will always be remembered as Mike for TDDUP as the thorn in Alf Garnett's side . One strange thing running through the list and is never explained is that some parts he is listed as Tony Booth and others he uses his Sunday name Anthony . Of course he is also remembered for being Cherie Blair's father .

Roy's comedies often do have similar characters:
Edie and Hyacinth
Wesley / Howerd and Richard
Auntie and Arkwright
Marina and Rose
Compo and Onslow

I see a lot of similarities beside the characters. The kitchen beauty parlor/coffee klatch is right out of the later Summer Wine episodes. Expect to see the giant cream filled sweet roll snagged any time. Wet Eric and Cyril hijinks are just the sort of thing Foggy or Seymoure would have come up with. Domineering incredibly serious women. Near invulnerability/cartoon healing. I'm sure there's a lot more I've missed.

Roy's comedies often do have similar characters:
Edie and Hyacinth
Wesley / Howerd and Richard
Auntie and Arkwright
Marina and Rose
Compo and Onslow

What about Elizabeth and Mavis? Or Clegg's mother? And Councillor Mrs Nugent in KUA and another ferocious councillor in a Seymour episode had similarities.

Never imagined it would ever achieve 6 series and who knows beyond its been tired for so long now difficult to see how and where the writing could inject some energy into the show. I regularly watch Open All Hours and although I have seen all episodes several times over I still laugh along with the show because the scripts are as funny as when they first aired and stand the test of time I cannot say the same for Still Open .

Never imagined it would ever achieve 6 series and who knows beyond its been tired for so long now difficult to see how and where the writing could inject some energy into the show. I regularly watch Open All Hours and although I have seen all episodes several times over I still laugh along with the show because the scripts are as funny as when they first aired and stand the test of time I cannot say the same for Still Open .
Also still love the original.. watch it at all chances, and also seen them all more times than I care to remember, and also still burst out laughin reguarly!

Still not seen the new one though :(

Not sure what the others thought?, but I actually thought the first episode wasn't too bad. Clearly there are many parallels with LOTSW, I'm wondering whether Gastric is evolving into a Compo character.
I would love to see some cross overs, ie Cooper & Walsh in the police car in the episode!
I'm amazed how at nearly 90 Roy Clarke can still write such sharp and funny comedy he clearly hasn't lost touch with modern life!

I thought it was an above average episode of Still Open All Hours.

Tim Healy was playing a Compo type in that episode, I thought.

And Geoffrey Whitehead could play a modern day 'third man' in LOTSW.

Still Open All Hours is a bit disappointing compared to the original - but this is kind of stuff that would be in LOTSW if it were still running.

This is as near as you will get to new episodes of LOTSW, so make the most of it.

I'm also wondering whether the Mr Newbold/Mrs Rossi thing could evolve into a Howard/Marina love triangle. But I agree with wstol, I thought it was an above average episode an a substitute fix of LOTSW!!!!!

I watched it with a critical eye and sadly Roy still persists with the absurd attempt to pair Granville and Mrs Featherstone together just ridiculous and tired .I see the Summer Wine analogy with Mr Newbould/Cyril/Eric as the three but embellishing with the Mrs Featherstone/Mrs Rossi/Mr Newbould love triangle , Madge/Mavis/Kath/MrsFeatherstone as the ladies but the theme running through it is still personally they should have left it alone when Ronnie B passed away.

I amazed the show continues.

In principle the concept is a good idea, and with David Jason aboard, you would think it would be a very highly polished quality product.

Unfortunately it's become a one-joke show.

In the original Open All Hours, every episode was a gem, and more importantly, each episode had a different theme.

I can't differentiate between most episodes of Still Open All Hours.

I'll keep watching, but I get sick of the same supporting cast every week.

You can see from my previous comments I agree Wstol . It's sad to criticise the great Roy Clarke but he was somewhat naive if not a little foolish to write Still Open after the huge character of Ronnie B had retired .

You can predict the plot running through each episode Granville flogging "old stock" or some concocted product mostly to Eric/Cyril, Granville/Mavis/Mrs Featherstone triangle , Gastric/Madge tryst , Leroy playing the role Granville wanted in Open i.e loads of girls chasing him that has now morphed into the steady girlfriend.

We now have another triangle of Mr Newbould/Mrs Featherstone and Mrs Rossi . Roy Clarke has simply run out of ideas but presumably fails to realise it or the pay cheque gives him easy money because the BBC want to keep it running in the absence of anything else on the horizon .:confused:

I would of preferred it if Granville bought the shop into current day trading,in the original series Granville was always aiming at progress, he could of had his modern till but had other problems with it, maybe he could be just a little like Dell Boy with his wheeling and dealing.
But sadly it is still trying to be Arkwright all over again mixed with some LOSW story lines

Back