Still Open All Hours?

Ch74

The original was hilarious not sure about the remake. It's gentle but not laugh out loud funny. Last night was one of the better episodes with the 4 women chatting and reminded me of LOTSW. They seem to have turned Gastric into Compo
Which begs the question why get rid of LOTSW in the first place?
The fake laughter does it no favours either.

Thoughts?

I agree, it's not as good as the original.

It's time TV companies put their money into making new programs and not rehashing old ones.

Highly doubt that this will make it across the Pond. We're flooded with Downton Abby. Also odd things are coming across the Pond. Some odd thing called After Life which I will NOT watch. Another thing called Rev. about an Anglican priest in London. That's so, so. And some really weird show about the boy going through puberty with the help of his imaginary friend who is a grown man and wears high heels. NOT. And then we get dribs and drabs, some Vera, some Murder in Paradise, some Midsomer Murder, and so on and so forth. And let's not forget Ins. Morse, Ins. Lewis, and Poirot.

We're flooded with Downton Abby.

Enjoyed Downton Abbey. Kinda like Rev as it's light and funny. Vera is
wonderful as are Call the Midwife, Death in Paradise, Shetland, Still Open
All Hours, Doctor Blake, and The Murdoch Mysteries. Lots of
wonderful stuff out there to download and watch. Lewis appears to
be over and we shall miss it greatly.

Roy's comedies often do have similar characters:
Edie and Hyacinth
Wesley / Howerd and Richard
Auntie and Arkwright
Marina and Rose
Compo and Onslow
One addition -- Roz (Edie's sister) and Rose. Roz is almost always dressed entirely in pink and speaks of her previous lovers -- just like Rose.

Roy's comedies often do have similar characters:
Edie and Hyacinth
Wesley / Howerd and Richard
Auntie and Arkwright
Marina and Rose
Compo and Onslow

And another was Mrs Cornwell-Harris whom Seymour wished to be noticed by and the rather aristocratic lady that Hyacinth wanted to be noticed by as long as Onslow was not there!

I'm hoping the new episodes will be worth watching.

The special is all about Granville's friends and neighbours going away for Christmas, leaving him alone, which is certainly a promising and new storyline.

I gather one episode, I don't know which one, has been filmed at Scarborough, which is great as it makes a change, and also brings back memories of LOTSW's 1976 two-parter.

I just hope this new series will be the best series of Still Open All Hours...

I don't watch it but I think she was committed to Eastenders as Linda Clarke when they filmed the latest series of Still Open All Hours . I am not sure she is still in it but presumably has other commitments which preclude her rejoining Still Open . Will there be another series that would allow her to return , who knows , does it deserve recommissioning ? My own personal view is no .

Watched the special last night. Very average SOAH episode.

Too much dressing up and silliness and ruins what could otherwise be a good show.

This is the same route LOTSW went down in latter years.

Time to call it day after this series.

I can concur WSTOL I watched it to give it one more chance but it was just lame , predictable Comedy. The subtaphone , sousaphone you know the trick to sell the Doctor Proctor's latest "medication" was just hammy and not a patch on what Roy Clarke scripted for Ronnie Barker's incarnation . I absolutely hate this 180 degree turn with Granville and the Black Widow Mrs Featherstone from being considered "one of those young persons" by her and someone she didn't want to serve her in the shop to now being her love interest , it just does not work in so many ways . BBC please retire it now.

It seemed to be shown for the sake of showing it, sadly I agree it has lost it's way and the plot,Granville wanted to bin that dodgy till years ago,yet it is still there, they could of used a modern one that still had problems like churning out miles of till roll every so often, or Granville would get covered in ink when he changes it,Granville tries to make cheaper till rolls, so many options.

Was the girl with the Meat is Murder sign just a infill as it seemed pointless

Love interest for Leroy, again in line with all of the love interests for Granville when he was the assistant to Arkwright . Mavis is in effect now the Nurse but for some obscure reason I will never understand Mrs Featherstone keeps trying to encroach, I don't know what Mr Clarke is thinking of.

It seemed to be shown for the sake of showing it, sadly I agree it has lost it's way and the plot,Granville wanted to bin that dodgy till years ago,yet it is still there, they could of used a modern one that still had problems like churning out miles of till roll every so often, or Granville would get covered in ink when he changes it,Granville tries to make cheaper till rolls, so many options.

Very good comments.

As you indicate, Granville could have bought a new till, say 25 years ago before he became so mean, and that till would now be out of date, yet newer than the old one, and able to go wrong all the time.

Also he would have bought a van, when he was younger, that would be old now which again would be going wrong.

There doesn't seem to any of the charm left from the original Granville.

I know the younger man often turns into the older man, gradually, without him realising - but I would have liked to have seen some signs of the earlier Granville who had dreams and ambitions.

I also feel the supporting cast are in the show too often.

Are there ANY episodes of Still Open All Hours which don't involve Granville selling a load of rubbish to Wet Eric and Cyril, claiming it to be some form of marital aid??

Back