Still Open All Hours Series 3

Latest episode has a hearse and the line "plenty of room in the back"...now where have I heard & seen that before??????????:08:
Anyone else noticing how Mrs. Featherstone seems to be becoming a Nora caricature????

Latest episode has a hearse and the line "plenty of room in the back"...now where have I heard & seen that before??????????:08:
Anyone else noticing how Mrs. Featherstone seems to be becoming a Nora caricature????

The hearse sequence was blatantly ripped from a 1976 episode of Open All Hours.

I think Last of the Summer Wine had two hearse sequences similar to each other in the space of about five years.

I'm sure Roy Clarke doesn't need to recycle his old ideas.

If only we had this series in Aussie...
Open all Hours was brilliant! Had to love Arkwright and poor Granville on that bike...

Bruce, the first series IS available here on DVD..see usual shops. Series 2 has been on tv but I haven't seen it out on dvd for our region. The current 3rd series is not out on TV or dvd here yet.

Bruce, the first series IS available here on DVD..
See usual shops.
Series 2 has been on tv but I haven't seen it out on dvd for our region. The current 3rd series is not out on TV or dvd here yet.
Haven't seen it on tele over this side of the rock :( Im a huge David Jason fan, so always on the look out for anything with him in it.

Not a huge fan of buying DVD's... $30 odd for a DVD is robbery when a box of 100 blanks costs $10!

A number are on You Tube [know you had an issue with some of You Tube's video quality] but if you watch a couple Bruce it might persuade you to part with some cash and buy the DVD's.

This weeks episode was funny with some good lines but as has already been said the hearse was old hat although the way the funeral followed him was funny.Looks as though Mavis is getting closer the way she arrived at the end of the show.

FWIW -- there are a number of web sites where good folks UPLOAD various
tv episodes or even series, while others of us download copies. I have
several hard drives full of those copies including all the SW, Open all
Hours, Grantchester, Heartbeat, Death in Paradise, and many many more.
I used to have to convert the MK4 and MKV files to AVI files, but with
my new DVD/Flash player I can play anything.

All Free!!!

FWIW -- there are a number of web sites where good folks UPLOAD various
tv episodes or even series, while others of us download copies. I have several hard drives full of those copies including all the SW, Open all Hours, Grantchester, Heartbeat, Death in Paradise, and many many more.
I used to have to convert the MK4 and MKV files to AVI files, but with my new DVD/Flash player I can play anything.

All Free!!!
Yep... got plenty of good old westerns and movies at home...
Just getting hard to find good torrent sites these days. and I'm outta the loop with mates on whats good..

Love to find Goodnight Sweetheart too :(

So what did you all think of the third series of Still Open All Hours?

And would you like to see a fourth series?

I have to say this third series didn't have anything new to offer, and some familiar plots.

Yet I still found it entertaining enough.

It's as near to a new series of LOTSW that we'll ever get.

I'd like to see a fourth series, if only to mirror the four series the original Open All Hours ran to.

I am enjoying it. True, that some is a rehash of the original. I do like seeing the characters still acting. It saddens me a little to see them getting older. Because that means I am getting older as well. I am glad for the fact that they are characters I enjoy and that it is new content I have not seen yet. Yes, I would like to see them produce a fourth season.

The only thing I find a little disconnected with the original. Is that in the original series Mrs Featherstone would barely talk to Granville since he was so much younger than her. That she often wanted Arkwright to handle her groceries instead of a 'sex crazed youth' of Granville. Now, she is the one chasing Granville !

I also thought that Mrs Hussein was married, hence the Mrs part. Yet they have not mentioned her husband, she seems single. One time when the ladies are gathered and talking down about their husbands Mrs Hussein mentions she has no room to talk on the subject. Forget her exact words. She clearly has a thing for Leroy and even told him she has not been romantically involved in a while. Again, forget her exact words. Was just before she and Leroy get caught behind the counter. She is listed on cast websites as Mrs. I am just curious.

If anyone knows what happened to her supposed husband, please say. She is a quite likable character, I think. Not near as mean as some of the ladies on the show. Some definitely enjoy making their husband's lives difficult. The guy would be silly to not want to be with her.

On a tangent from Still Open...
I had not realized how good of an actor David Jason really is until recently. I have not seen him in much. I have been catching more of Ronnie Barker on youtube snippets of the Two Ronnies and appreciating how good of an actor he really was as well.

I have to smile at the thought that just popped in my head of how funny it would have been to see Ronnie Barker and Benny Hill together doing a comedy skit. The gleam in their eyes and the mischievous grin they both get when about to do something devilishly sneaky.

The skit I watched the other night of Ronnie B as Hercule Poirot and the other Ronnie as Miss Marple was so well done I had forgotten I was watching Mr Arkwright, or even a skit. Their acting mannerism are very good. The lovely Jenny Agutter, also in the skit, could have been possibly to blame for me being so transfixed. :08:

I also thought that Mrs Hussein was married, hence the Mrs part. Yet they have not mentioned her husband, she seems single. One time when the ladies are gathered and talking down about their husbands Mrs Hussein mentions she has no room to talk on the subject. Forget her exact words. She clearly has a thing for Leroy and even told him she has not been romantically involved in a while. Again, forget her exact words. Was just before she and Leroy get caught behind the counter. She is listed on cast websites as Mrs. I am just curious.

I don't know whether or not this is a universal UK/European thing, but in my travels so far, I've found that women who look mature are addressed as Mrs./Madam, Madame, Frau, etc., without regard to marital status. It's just recognition of mature judgement and the ability to take care of oneself.

In the very last episode she was referred to as a single mother. So presumably there may have been a Mr Hussein at one time, but no longer. In south Asian circles a single parent is a rarity in my experience. But it would explain why she can flirt with Leroy. In some south Asian communities such an approach might lend itself to being shunned by the others; however that is not true of all by any means. Depends how westernised they are and other issues about cultural norms.

Thanks barmpot. I have only made it up to episode 5 so far of series 3. Nice to have some back story on the characters. The others just seemed more fleshed out.

Back