Still Open All Hours Series 3

I just discovered that Tim Healy who played Dennis on Auf Wiedersehen, Pet is also the character Gastric in Still Open! I knew he looked familiar but never put two and two together. Silly me :rolleyes:.

Quite versatile actor Tim he also plays Les/Lesley in Benidorm , he is also a decent singer he has sung with a friend of mine Michael Whitaker at a few venues in Newcastle . He recently had to stop filming Benidorm because he has been really ill apparently touch and go if he survived at one point but thankfully he did .

From your post Rick I assume he was well enough to film the next series of Still Open All Hours. He's someone who "gives something back to his craft" . He hosts the Sunday for Sammy concerts in Newcastle in memory for an actor Sammy Johnson who tragically died at too young an age . There is a Sammy Johnson memorial fund which receives all of the money from the show and the accompanying DVD and its used to give young hopeful performers a helping hand .

If I recall Tim and a few of the other Auf Wiedersehen actors have never missed a performance . It was a particularly sad performance this year because one of the original local performers Brendan Healy [no relation to Tim] passed away suddenly earlier this year.

Anyone recall Tim Healy in "Heartburn hotel" ...... it was a "Curate's egg" kind of series, but had me laughing on a good few occasions.

Wow, captain. I did not realize Tim was so involved with acting. The article that had me realize Tim played Gastric mentioned him being not well at some point but was vague about it. Did not say when it happened, so I assumed he got well and it was a temporary thing.

Andy, is Heartburn Hotel similar to the show Mann's Best Friends comedy-wise? I bought the DVD because of the characters from Porridge. It is decent enough, but could have been better. A few of the characters got annoying after a bit. Would have preferred a more Fawlty Towers / Man About the House type comedy.

Can you image someone who wants to get her hair done and is clueless; and so she goes to the shop and (scream) finds that it's suddenly a market!!

Arkwright being Arkwright if there's money to be made I dare say he would cut and style the unfortunate person who entered the shop looking for a haircut or shampoo and set.

Arkwright, nor Granville now, would never pass up an opportunity to extract a few bob from some poor innocent passer by. Well, they will be poorer after entering the shop.

Do you think Auntie and Arkwright were related?

I can see both Arkwright and Granville both trying to 'help' whoever entered the shop for a haircut. Granville might try to get Madge to cut their hair. I recall her working on another lady's hair... Eric's wife, can't think of her name at the moment.

I just watched it on catch up to see if it has improved but personally it is very laboured comedy . It appears to be a bit of a boat hole for some of our senior well known comedic actors who presumably struggle to get parts in other sitcoms [mainly because of the lack of credible shows in Production] and are glad to take the work .

It is not sidesplitting humour as Captain says, but a pleasant gentle show which should offend no-one (without actually TRYING to be inoffensive).
It does not pretend to be anything that it isn't and given the pap that is being offered on TV these days that in itself is a pleasant change.
It is nowhere as good as the original but I find it a pleasant (I seem to be using that word a lot!o_O) half hour, certainly more enjoyable that other "high rating" Krap!.

Caught up with it last night before watchign Flying Scotsman on BBC F*ur

Noticed no Nurse Gladys Emmanuel although mentioned - and some really corny comments from the Black Widow about damp patches in her bedroom - that was a tired line when I was young!

Even Madge seemed quite tame.

But why does not Granville just propose to Mavis and sweep her off to a little honeymoon on a boat on the nearby canal (as his uncle suggested) so he can keep an eye on the business. It does seem he was more reciprocal feelings from her than ever Arkwright had from Nurse Gladys Emmanuel.

Noticed that the rival choir came from Finkle Street - there is one in Doncaster actually. However I am sure Finkle Street also occurred in SW. Although a fairly common street name ...

Once again Mr Clarke mentioned the RAOB, as he has done in FOSW and LOSW and I do wonder if he has some connection with the order

Back