Still missed..

onyx(John)

Administrator
Staff member
Born on this day eighty two years ago, the man who first got me interested in LoTSW. Rest in peace Dad.
em4UhKp.jpg

that's so weird John, your dad and my mom share the same birthday, although she is a lot younger than your dad would have been today

My dad died 20 years ago; he was too young. His birthday is the 29th of this month. I always call my aunt on his birthday because she thinks of him as well. You can never stop missing them, but I always think of him when I see flowers; he loved flowers and it makes me smile.

What is your fondest memory of your dad John?

My dad died 20 years ago; he was too young. His birthday is the 29th of this month. I always call my aunt on his birthday because she thinks of him as well. You can never stop missing them, but I always think of him when I see flowers; he loved flowers and it makes me smile.

What is your fondest memory of your dad John?
I have great memories of family holidays when we were young children. We used to go to a caravan ( trailer) park down south in Kerry each year and I always remember how relaxed he was when we were away. He had a very tough job and he was often under a lot of stress but he left all that behind him when took our annual holiday. We all had such fun as a family back then, we were very lucky enough to have quite an idyllic upbringing although we probably didn't appreciate it at the time. Great memories :)

My dad was the same way! When we went to my grandfather's in Kentucky, he was a different person. He said he was in "God's Country". :) There would be his brothers and sisters there and we (my cousins and brother and sister) would sit in the other room and listen to there "tall tales". We loved it.

It looks like your dad has complete control of that game there. You can see him plotting his next move. :D

My dad was the same way! When we went to my grandfather's in Kentucky, he was a different person. He said he was in "God's Country". :) There would be his brothers and sisters there and we (my cousins and brother and sister) would sit in the other room and listen to there "tall tales". We loved it.

It looks like your dad has complete control of that game there. You can see him plotting his next move. :D
Scrabble was serious business when he played Beth! My sister Jacqueline in the photo was a serious player too. The game could turn into a marathon!

Its nice John sharing your family with us. Thank you
My dad died 10 years ago, he had heart issues since I was 17, he did good to last as long as he did. He told my mom 4 days before dying that we (kids) needed to come to their house because he wasn't making it through this one. He was right and it was sad to watch him go.
He knew how to do almost anything. When I'm on a project and I need advice, I still think, dang it, dad would know how to do this. I wish I could phone him.
I miss him greatly.
:'(

:D Sorry for so many questions but I have to know who usually won? :)
I would say Dad did Beth, he was pretty good at all those sort of games.
My dad and my uncle always beat me and my brother at playing Euchre. I was talking to my dad's best friend at a family gathering (after my dad had passed), and he laughed when I was telling him about how good he was at Euchre. Apparently, my dad was notorious for cheating at Euchre. I laugh a lot when I think about those games now. He knew how gullible I was. :D :D

My dad died 10 years ago, he had heart issues since I was 17, he did good to last as long as he did. He told my mom 4 days before dying that we (kids) needed to come to their house because he wasn't making it through this one. He was right and it was sad to watch him go.
He knew how to do almost anything. When I'm on a project and I need advice, I still think, dang it, dad would know how to do this. I wish I could phone him.
I miss him greatly.
I think your carrying on your dad's legacy quite nicely Wesley. He would be very proud. :)

I miss him greatly.
I think your carrying on your dad's legacy quite nicely Wesley. He would be very proud. :)

Hear hear Beth.

I lost my mam 6 years ago and will never stop missing her, I think if your parents were a big part of your life and you looked up the them the way we all seem to have then when their gone there is nothing that will fill that hole nor would you want it too.
I know its the natural order of things but that doesn't make it any easier. We had so many deaths last year its unreal but it happens like that some times. We were hoping for a better year this but we lost my uncle last week.

I miss him greatly.

Hear hear Beth.

I lost my mam 6 years ago and will never stop missing her, I think if your parents were a big part of your life and you looked up the them the way we all seem to have then when their gone there is nothing that will fill that hole nor would you want it too.
I know its the natural order of things but that doesn't make it any easier. We had so many deaths last year its unreal but it happens like that some times. We were hoping for a better year this but we lost my uncle last week.
Sorry to hear about your uncle Susan, it can't be nice to start the year with a bereavement .

My dad and my uncle always beat me and my brother at playing Euchre. I was talking to my dad's best friend at a family gathering (after my dad had passed), and he laughed when I was telling him about how good he was at Euchre. Apparently, my dad was notorious for cheating at Euchre. I laugh a lot when I think about those games now. He knew how gullible I was. :D :D

It is interesting how some games are US and UK common whereas others tend to be confined to one side of the pond. As far as I am aware, Euchre is not played in UK. And I wonder if, for example, Crib (Cribbage) - one for his nob - is played in US. It would appear Canasta is much more popular in US.

I always recall the play 'The Secretary Bird' opening with two of the cast playing 'Racing Demon' but that was a game I had never come across (and, of course, 'The Secretary Bird' was set in London).

Thank you John, we lost 2 people last January and 3 more during the year we were hoping a few months off. :'(

Back