Spot the mistake

Peripheral

Dedicated Member
I have just had two Double glazed units replaced. A big plain one in the kitchen window and a diamond leaded quarter light in the front bay. See the photo of the diamond leaded one. How anyone can make such a mistake beggars belief. They took a photo of the unit on their first visit. They were supposed to come back today to replace it. Now it is down for tomorrow morning. :fp::eek2::frown2::20:

Attachments

• Spot the mistake 2.jpg
    Spot the mistake 2.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 32
I noticed it when he was halfway down the drive with it. As Del boy would say, "What a P LL OOO NN KK ER.
I used to make sealed double glazed units and did leading and made pictures in leading.

Nice try Peri , photoshopping your window and rotating the glass from portrait to landscape tut tut ;) What that you say its a real photo ! Shall I book you a trip to Specsavers.

Forget Specsavers Captain. It is a genuine photo. That is the biggest leading blunder I have ever seen. I will take another photo tomorrow when they come to replace it. :17:

This is how it looked in August 2007. All the lines follow through into the next pane. I drew and leaded that myself.
"Who's a clever boy then?":37::37::37:

Attachments

• August troughs & baskets garden 08 07  500.jpg
    August troughs & baskets garden 08 07 500.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 35
I said I would post another pic this morning. The glass company were coming to fit another quarter light with leading the right way up. They were coming at 8 AM. Had a phone call at 8: 20 AM. They can't come today as the unit isn't ready yet. This has been one big cock up from the start. The company concerned is ADS WINDOWS. Believe it or not, I can see their offices from our kitchen window. The time to get there would be less than two minutes. I most certainly would not recommend them. GGRRRRR. :20::33:

I did mine about 20 years ago now. Doing the straight bits top and bottom was very time consuming and halfway through the 6 windows 69924732_2989606141056603_3889351306120265728_o-001.jpg I was starting to regret doing them that way but I persevered.

The home we have now had leaded windows all round when we first moved in, the had some age to them and most of them were blown, so we replaced them the heat reflective glass, no lead at all, the amount of light coming into the house was a vast improvement

Hey Captain, here are the two units side by side. You can clearly see that the first one, on the right, is 90 degrees out. The guy came to fit the replacement at 8:30 this morning and it was just a 5-minute job. "All done," he said and started to put his tools away.
"Not quite right," I told him, "you've put it in upside down." Out came his tools and he had to take it out and put it back in the right way up. Four weeks it has taken to get the job done. I won't be using them again.:20::20::20:

Attachments

• quarter lights 3.jpg
    quarter lights 3.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 19
Hey Captain, here are the two units side by side. You can clearly see that the first one, on the right, is 90 degrees out. The guy came to fit the replacement at 8:30 this morning and it was just a 5-minute job. "All done," he said and started to put his tools away.
"Not quite right," I told him, "you've put it in upside down." Out came his tools and he had to take it out and put it back in the right way up. Four weeks it has taken to get the job done. I won't be using them again.:20::20::20:

Glad you got it sorted Peri seems to have been a bit of an ordeal you could have done without . Reminds me a bit of Carry on Doctor when Kenneth Williams is in Theatre with Derek Guyler and he stitches the patient up only to realise he has lost his wristwatch inside the patient's stomach and he has to open him up again to retrieve it . I imagine that your face showed the disdain Derek Guyler shows towards Kenneth Williams . It's now all gone Johnny Nash for you now hopefully . " I Can see Clearly Now!" ;)

Wow, one would think the person working on your windows could spot right away that direction of the pattern was off. With nearly everyone having a camera on their cell phones ya think they would take a before and after photo while working on it and see that it was wrong.

Are those individual panes of glass in each rhombus, or a metal lattice work over top of a single pane of glass? I've heard double glazing mentioned a few times in British Sit-Coms now and then. I know it was mentioned by Rupert Rigsby in Rising Damp.

That's a very attractive style of window that I have not seen so much of where I live. Truly's House has windows like that too :)

Another thing I don't see where I live is that style of front door where you can open the top part separately from the bottom, like Clegg's, and Nora's house had one latterly - looks a nice idea for sunny days - in a law-abiding neighbourhood.

Sorry to hear of your problems with the glazing firm, Peri. It beggars belief that they could be so inefficient.

Back