Some Adventures of the Inventor of the Mother Stitch

Rob1969in

Dedicated Member
I really enjoyed tonights episode, the only complaint is the under use of Peter Sallis and Frank Thornton, I am much happier with Russ Abbot as the new third man he was great and in bits reminded me of the days of Foggy, Glad also to see less of Tom Owen, I really can not warm to him as an actor or character, he just seems to over act and his character is rather pointless in my opinion, all in all though, loved the episode and can not wait till the next one!

I enjoyed it better than I expected to. Again, wasn't to sure about them re-using the Foggy character but I think Russ Abbot did well. Especially with the scene with Howard and in the Library. As for Tom, I was glad to see him with Auntie Wainwright. The smaller roles for Sallis and Thornton kind of put a downer on it all but at least they are still included. Decent episode.

Speaking of the "new trio", why do they need a new trio at all? I mean, I would have been much happier without any "trio". I wouldn´t care if they walked about in variable groups, and Cleggy and Truly should have more to do, at least 5 minutes... For me it just doesn´t feel right, establishing a new trio and demote Cleggy and Truly instead. I mean, they´ve started the show with many indoor scenes, why can´t they come back to that at least for a few minutes for these two wonderful actors?

Hi ****

I suppose the formula has always been based around a main trio, but I agree there really is no longer a need for them to do this,just mix up the cast they have and we would still enjoy the show

I think it goes back to the show's premise.. Three retired Yorkshire men wander around the dales re-living their second childhood as they get into hi-jinks with the village townspeople. Or something to that effect, which fits Hobbo, Alvin and Entwhistle to a tee. Unfortunately, it's not Foggy, Clegg and Compo anymore (which is my personal fav trio) but for others it's not Blaimire, Clegg and Compo or Seymour, Clegg and Compo... or Truly, Clegg and Compo.. etc.. etc.. There's been a mix of the trio but the story and theme of the show has basically been the same for the most part. So, I think that's the whole idea, just keeping up with the theme of the show. Odd little idea here, they could have a segment with Truly and Clegg and a few of the other men at Clegg's house or a pub and basically have that segment be the male version of the ladies tea time that they used to have. Oddly enough, I miss the tea time segments.

Hi Terry,
I´m glad you see it as I do :)!

@Claye:
Yes, I like the idea of the men now having tea together and gossiping a bit since they can´t go with the rest of them any more. That would have been an elegant solution, I think!
I still find there is no need for another trio. The first one at least always consisted of Cleggy and Compo (my favourite third man was Foggy, too), but establishing an entirely new trio is over the top in my opinion. I suppose many of the people still look for Clegg and Truly and are glad when it´s their turn. Let the newbies do their follies, but let them pop in at Cleggy´s every now and then for tea!

On a slightly sombre note: by establishing a new "trio" when the time comes that Clegg and Truly are unable to be there the transition will not be as stark as it might have been...

however my favourites were Clegg, Compo and Foggy although I think there are getting on for as many episodes of Truly now as there were with Foggy..
just checked from my own records (possibly Terry could confirm)

14 episodes with Blamire - pilot and two series
30 episodes with Seymour - three series and several feature lengths
124 episodes with Foggy - both runs

total 160 up to Truly

by my reckoning that makes it 118 by the start of this series for Truly as the third man...

But a good start and I am glad by recorder did work as I was away

I enjoyed it better than I expected to. Again, wasn't to sure about them re-using the Foggy character but I think Russ Abbot did well. Especially with the scene with Howard and in the Library. As for Tom, I was glad to see him with Auntie Wainwright. The smaller roles for Sallis and Thornton kind of put a downer on it all but at least they are still included. Decent episode.

One of the problems is that both Peter Sallis and Frank Thornton have such a deliberate way of delivering their lines that their scenes become too hurried because they do not have enough time to do justice to their scenes.

Was this an episode in which Hobbo was introduced? I have yet to see it.

Hobbo was introduced in the 2008 christmas special "I Was a Hitman for Primrose Dairies", this episode was the first episode of series 30 in 2009, however the special and the series was filmed together.

I look forward to watching it then. I didn't like Hobbo in the begining but
grew to like him later on.

I hate to admit that now I don't actually mind the Hobbos. I was taken back a bit by them at first but at the end of the day its still Summer wine. Still the show that we all come on here and talk about. Most shows go though changes its just getting used to those changes.

I hate to admit that now I don't actually mind the Hobbos. I was taken back a bit by them at first but at the end of the day its still Summer wine. Still the show that we all come on here and talk about. Most shows go though changes its just getting used to those changes.

I have watched the Hobbo Era four times now.

The first time- I despised him!
The second time- "I guess he was OK"
The third time- "hey, wait! I am actual enjoying him and his episodes"
The most recent time- I like him a lot. The Hobbo era has gems as well, such as "Good Night Sweet Ferret" (the first thaat comes to mind)

Back