Sleight of Hand !!

Norm

Dedicated Member
I have just spent an enjoyable lunch break watching "Full Steam behind" one of my favourites and I was amused to notice the following. Clegg is ironing Compos unwieldy tie when Foggy is trying to get them to hurry up so they can go and see the Steam Engine , and you can see Clegg putting the bent scrunched up tie under a piece of material in front of the ironing board. It is then magically replaced out of sight of the camera with a beautifully ironed replacement which he hands to Compo. I just wondered if anyone knows of any other episodes where there is not so much a mistake but a sleight of hand that doesn't quite come up to a Paul Daniels standard as it were .

I have just spent an enjoyable lunch break watching "Full Steam behind" one of my favourites and I was amused to notice the following. Clegg is ironing Compos unwieldy tie when Foggy is trying to get them to hurry up so they can go and see the Steam Engine , and you can see Clegg putting the bent scrunched up tie under a piece of material in front of the ironing board. It is then magically replaced out of sight of the camera with a beautifully ironed replacement which he hands to Compo. I just wondered if anyone knows of any other episodes where there is not so much a mistake but a sleight of hand that doesn't quite come up to a Paul Daniels standard as it were .
I noticed the tie under the material, but I just took it as that is how you iron a delicate fabric. ha! Compo with a delicate fabric!?

I suppose the point is the more you watch an episode the more you see and then start to notice little inconsistencies or gaps in continuity etc . MMmmm makes me think maybe this is not a good idea: to start looking too closely, don't want to lose the overall enjoyment and magic of it all.

I suppose the point is the more you watch an episode the more you see and then start to notice little inconsistencies or gaps in continuity etc . MMmmm makes me think maybe this is not a good idea: to start looking too closely, don't want to lose the overall enjoyment and magic of it all.
Never ! I will never lose the overall enjoyment and magic of it all.
But . . on the point, sort of . . tell me . . have you ever noticed when Clegg was not Clegg, that is, Sallis really wasn't there? In the episode where Foggy decides they can go off-road cycling and maybe make money that way ~~ our trio stops. Compo and Foggy chat while behind them Clegg is inspecting the chain on his bike. But you never see his face, even when Foggy calls, "Are ya coming?" The next scene is of them in Clegg's house. Clegg pouring tea, Foggy pouring over a map. So, I surmised that during the location shot, Peter Sallis had to excuse himself for something personal.

Yes I noticed that to, sometimes the switches between the doubles and the actors is so cleverly done its almost impossible to tell it has happened other than the fact that the dangerous bit is over, especially if there is not a following close up. So I think you may be correct it could be his double as there is no obvious reason for Clegg to be fiddling with his bike so far away from the others. I did notice the other evening watching "The flag and its snag" when Clegg and Compo are trying to ride the Donkeys (Sorry not Donkeys I have had a Senior moment can't remember what they are called !!) Anyway Clegg goes flying in the air losing his cap the next second we see him on the ground wearing it !!

MULES, Willis !!! Yes, I noticed that also. They did a great job nonetheless.

Great line.

I think that scene does have the worst example of stuntmen not looking like the actors, and the poor continuity of his cap coming off. Most of the other technical faults in other episodes I can stomach.

Great line.

I think that scene does have the worst example of stuntmen not looking like the actors, and the poor continuity of his cap coming off. Most of the other technical faults in other episodes I can stomach.
Okay, wstol, you got me there. It is indeed the worst they did throughout the series. Additionally, I always wished they would have paid more attention to the hair of the Compo stuntman. Not enough is ever seen sticking out.

Hmm yes I think part of the trouble with that scene is that the stuntmen are wearing a lot of padding for obvious reasons !! it must have been a rather painful bit of filming for them, and although I know absolutely nothing about such matters, I would think a difficult bit of film to join up the stuntmen with the actors (sorry don't know the technical jargon for this sort of thing) as the "Mules" appear to be having a great time throwing them about all over the place. Roy Clarkes wonderful stories must have been a bit of a nightmare at times to bring to life as it were.

Great line.

Okay, wstol, you got me there. It is indeed the worst they did throughout the series. Additionally, I always wished they would have paid more attention to the hair of the Compo stuntman. Not enough is ever seen sticking out.
Foggy's stand in usually shows too much hair, in his second run ;)

Agree about the hair on Foggy,s double always felt they should have have done something about this.

Yes, and most times seems too dark. In Return of The Warrior I always felt his back was a bit too straight when on the bike in the last scene. Okay, am I being too picky now?

I want to say that out of all of the men, in any episode, that ironed or tried to iron a piece of clothing, that Cleggy did the best job of all in spite of magically replacing a wrinkled tie with one that was perfectly ironed.

He was no stranger to an iron for sure. There was one episode where he had a small bowl or cup on the ironing board and he was dipping his fingers and flicking water on the garment like an old pro! ;D

Back