Sid's Cafe

wstol

Dedicated Member
After reading another topic, it's just occurred to me that the café doesn't actually have a signboard displaying a proper name.

Usually we can see 'Cafe' across the front window, yet no proper name.

Was it officially called Sid's Cafe? And if so would it have still been officially called Sid's Cafe after Sid had died?

We don't even know what Sid and Ivy's surname was.

There is a big fascia over the front of the cafe that was crying out for a sign to be placed.

Their surname was never mentioned, it's still called Sids Cafe today, I was there a few weeks ago. I don't think it never had an official name, I suppose it was expense the BBC didn't want to pay.

The Wrinkled Stocking article mentions the word 'lease' a lot. Does that mean one is not able to buy and own the place outright? That it must be leased from someone else like a renter?

I know zero about UK property ownership if it is similar to the US or not. If I read the article correctly, a new lease period is coming up. There is a 150 weekly insurance (FRI) charge. The tea room brings in anywhere from 87K to 95K a year. The 60K asking price is for the place/ business which gives you the opportunity to do a new lease from someone else at an additional cost which is not listed?

I may be wrongly thinking about this as a house, that one may want to own, which has been converted into a business. Instead of a building that one may not want to own which was meant for business.

The thought just occurred to me that if the Wrinkled Stocking Tea Room was up and running during the time the show was still being filmed. They would of had to of taken down their signs and close shop while the film crew was working outside doing shots of Nora / Compo / Alvin in front of their homes.

Is the Tea Room entrance the door off the little 'porch area' where Alvin had his table and chairs set up? Or is it the door below that and closer to the camera in the website picture?

I think the door is where Alvin's table and chairs were to the right of the famous Compo's drainpipe . It's a strange configuration because they used composite rooms [ for example Nora's "Kitchen", Compo's "bedroom" I believe ] when filming and I think post filming there has been some reconfiguration of the houses internally especially when you also include the Museum . I m not sure if Compo's door under Nora's landing takes you into the museum back room I found it disorientating when I walked around the Museum to establish where I was in the houses in the context of when it was filmed .

nora's.jpg

The Wrinkled Stocking article mentions the word 'lease' a lot. Does that mean one is not able to buy and own the place outright? That it must be leased from someone else like a renter?

I know zero about UK property ownership if it is similar to the US or not. If I read the article correctly, a new lease period is coming up. There is a 150 weekly insurance (FRI) charge. The tea room brings in anywhere from 87K to 95K a year. The 60K asking price is for the place/ business which gives you the opportunity to do a new lease from someone else at an additional cost which is not listed?

I may be wrongly thinking about this as a house, that one may want to own, which has been converted into a business. Instead of a building that one may not want to own which was meant for business.

The thought just occurred to me that if the Wrinkled Stocking Tea Room was up and running during the time the show was still being filmed. They would of had to of taken down their signs and close shop while the film crew was working outside doing shots of Nora / Compo / Alvin in front of their homes.

Is the Tea Room entrance the door off the little 'porch area' where Alvin had his table and chairs set up? Or is it the door below that and closer to the camera in the website picture?

There is / was, an entrance on the main road side of the building. Possibly it also has / had, an entrance at the rear (where all the filming took place), but I think the side by the main road was the main entrance.

You can't help think of the episodes where that area featured and some of the great scenes and laughter it provoked. My immediate thought is Compo in the deckchair with his Sunglasses on watching Nora hanging out the washing swiftly followed by a tumble down the steps in great comedic style[ wonder who was the stuntman ] ending up with the lens coming out of his sunglasses , priceless.

Fantastic opportunity for a LOTSW enthusiast with a talent for cooking.
You would need to be very fit and have extremely healthy knee joints, as well as being a wonderful cook, to operate that cafe. The kitchen is up an extremely steep flight of stairs from the main dining areas. When I was there two years ago, one of the owners said he was feeling the stairs in his knees.

Last edited:
There is / was, an entrance on the main road side of the building. Possibly it also has / had, an entrance at the rear (where all the filming took place), but I think the side by the main road was the main entrance.
Both entrances are still in use. The one on the Huddersfield Road side is much easier for customers who find stairs difficult, but the one on the Scarfold side is much more atmospheric for LOTSW fans.

One of the British members can answer this much more knowledgeably than I can, but I'll take a stab at it based on what I learned from reading Virginia Woolf's diaries and letters.

Much of the land in Great Britain is owned by people, often titled families, going back into the mists of history. They lease it for building residences and businesses, often using 100-year leases. The landowners sometimes own the buildings, as well, or the land can be leased for others to build on. In the latter case, the buildings can be leased or rented out by those who built them.

For instance, the Duke of Bedford owned (maybe still owns) quite of lot of the land and the buildings on it in Bloomsbury (London). Leonard and Virginia Woolf leased a house in a Georgian terrace at the south end of Tavistock Square, using the lower ground floor for their publishing business, Hogarth Press, sub-letting the ground floor to a solicitor, and living on the remaining floors. Sometime after the start of World War II, the rumor went around that the Duke was planning to knock down the terrace in order to build another hotel. So much residential property in London had already been bombed that if the Woolfs were to relocate within London, it was best to do it immediately, rather than waiting for the Duke to evict them. They leased a smaller place on Mecklenburgh Square, moving the Hogarth Press out of London to Letchworth and put a manager in charge of the press. The solicitors office moved with them, subletting the ground floor.

Not long afterward, the Luftwaffe bombed the terrace on Tavistock Square, saving the Duke the expense of demolishing it. After the war, he built another of his nondescript-looking hotels on the property. When in London, I stay in one of the LSE residence halls while classes are not in session so it operates as a B&B. It's in a similar Georgian terrace about a block away from the Woolfs former home. Because I know from old photos how the former terrace looked, the hotel seems like a blight on the square.

To get back to the original topic, given the layout of the cafe and the history of Holmfirth, the building probably was originally a residence with the rent set to attract low-paid mill workers. It may have been divided down the middle, like Nora's cottage is, so that the entrance from Huddersfield Road led into a different dwelling than the entrance off Scarfold did.

Both entrances are still in use. The one on the Huddersfield Road side is much easier for customers who find stairs difficult, but the one on the Scarfold side is much more atmospheric for LOTSW fans.
On Google Streetview, you can actually "Enter" into the house and move around some of the rooms. At least, you could a couple of months ago.
You have to "Enter" the place from the Huddersfield Road side.

Back