Series 9, Episode 3; Dried Dates and Codfanglers

Great episode with one of my favourite lines;
Clegg "Threw dates at you did she? It's a good job she wasn't baking a coconut cake.

This is a very good episode. After a slow start to the Seymour era, this quickened up the pace.
8/10 from me.

i love the scene with them and the door opener, cracks me up every time i see it

That bit and Compo's scrabbling in the water almost in a panic always raise a laugh with us! ;D

This is what I call a classic "aimlessly wandering" episode. For the most part, the trio just move from one place to another with little getting accomplished (like Short Back and Palais Glide). A lot of times the simplest plots result in the best episodes.

I believe the overall reaction to Seymour on this site is tepid, more popular than Hobbo, Tom, etc. but far from one of the most popular characters. Dried Dates and Codfanglers was one of the first Seymour episodes I ever caught, which helped me appreciated him.

It has been a while since I saw this episode but it is scheduled to air this week or next here. So I will be more refreshed to make additional comments.

This is what I call a classic "aimlessly wandering" episode. For the most part, the trio just move from one place to another with little getting accomplished (like Short Back and Palais Glide). A lot of times the simplest plots result in the best episodes.

I believe the overall reaction to Seymour on this site is tepid, more popular than Hobbo, Tom, etc. but far from one of the most popular characters. Dried Dates and Codfanglers was one of the first Seymour episodes I ever caught, which helped me appreciated him.

It has been a while since I saw this episode but it is scheduled to air this week or next here. So I will be more refreshed to make additional comments.
[/quote
nobody more appropriate than you to comment on this episode cod :).I liked Cleggs coconut' comment too.The voice operated door was when I started feeling sorry for Seymour

nobody more appropriate than you to comment on this episode cod :).I liked Cleggs coconut' comment too.The voice operated door was when I started feeling sorry for Seymour

"Codfanglers! Codfanglers! Codfanglers!"

Well, it has been a while since I have seen my namesake episode but I believe that is how it went for Seymour.

Also, allow me to clarify my last post. Dried Dates and Codfanglers was one of the first Seymour episodes I ever caught, which helped me appreciated him immediately.

I enjoy most of The Seymour episodes, although I admit the start of Series 9 got off to a slow start, with the first few episodes being quite weak.

Which episode was it that they were in the cafe (It was a Seymour episode) where Compo says to Clegg "Remind me to keep me differentials"? I laughed my ass off at that comment.

I actually watched this one, whilst having my tea tonight, it's also one of my favourites.
"Don't fight it lass, don't fight it", always gets me that bit, classic episode.

G ; )

I decided to dig up this thread instead of starting a new Dried Dates and Codfanglers one. I have been writing about Series 8 and 9 a lot lately and last year, when I was viewing it I discussed it a lot as well. This really seems to be a changing era in Summer Wine. Of course there is the changing from Foggy to Seymour and a great expansion in the cast. However, I now realize the swtch from Lotterby to Bell might be the biggest change.

I watched Dried Dates and Codfanglers last week. What really strikes me is how much it seems like an old episode. Like so many of the Blamire episodes, Dried Dates and Codfanglers really seems like a study of the main characters. There are fewer scenes and it is purely dialogue driven. It is a very slow paced (in a good way) and reflective episode. The dialogue and balance of the characters is just right.

Back