Series 13, Episode 1; Quick, Quick, Slow

wstol

Dedicated Member
Following the enormous success of Series 12, along came Series 13.

This series is perhaps a little more low key, like some of the early ones.

This series returned to the six episode format, but all subsequent series were mammoth ten or so episodes - until nearly twenty years later - when the last series was six.

Series 13 was first shown on Friday evenings - which was very unusual by 1991. All subsequent series were shown on the more familar Sunday evenings.

The other difference was the use of videotape rather than film on the exterior shots - which to me was very noticable. That's not to say it didn't work - the locations looked so clear.

This series is frowned upon by several members of the forum. Personally I think it's a good series, and a worthy successor to Series 12.

wstol, I enjoy your threads in which we discuss each episode. I had plenty to comment on with the Seymour era and Series 12 (which might be the very best). However, as I looked at the episode listings of Series 13, I am afraid I can't comment on them much at all. I know most individual episodes a good bit but I get approx. 1/3 of Summer Wine's episodes mixed up as I don't know them by heart. I have seen the all the Series but certain episodes just don't stand out. I am afraid this is the case with the entire Series 13. I am one of many who feel that this series starts a bit of a dry period for Summer Wine.

However, I don't mean to put Series 13 down. I will say this.....

While Series 12 is more noted for absolutely brilliant comedy and writing, Series 13 starts a period of comfort to Summer Wine viewers. There are now less moments of hysterical humor but I personally continue to enjoy this era because of the characters. There is a level of comfort in just watching the trio and others go through their ordeals. Therefor, Series 13 is still quality viewing.

Oddly enough, the final episode of "Keeping Up Appearances" happened to include two men practicing the tango. What a coincidence!

Back