Sea Shantys

Sorry Amos its a bit like Bouzouki music when you are on Holiday in Greece, the first time you hear it you think this is fabulous especially when accompanied by plate smashing dancers but after two or three songs on a night out in a local Taverna it starts to grate and Sea Shantys are the same for me , sorry :(

Sorry Amos its a bit like Bouzouki music when you are on Holiday in Greece, the first time you hear it you think this is fabulous especially when accompanied by plate smashing dancers but after two or three songs on a night out in a local Taverna it starts to grate and Sea Shantys are the same for me , sorry :(
Fair enough Cap

Think you've hit the nail on the head there CC and hadn't really thought about it. Same with many things, if I go to an Indian for a meal and they're not playing traditional Indian music and say Taylor Swift instead I feel the ambience is lacking. However I'd never choose to listen to the sitar in the car! just as I like listening to Sea Shanties in Whitby sung by the sea when I'm there, however at other times I can't say I seek out the genre.

Here you go Barry , combination of rock music with an Indian Twist give your local Indian the full SP the album is on Spotify .

When I was a small child, my mother habitually listened to a radio program on which Burl Ives was a frequent guest. He sang all sorts of folk music, so when she heard one of his albums advertised, she bought it. It turned out to be sea shanties. I listened to all of them until I had them memorized, and I'd sing my favorite, The Eddystone Light, at the drop of a hat. The lyrics are really inappropriate for a six-year-old!

Hey Barry here is another classic given the Sitar treatment. It also available on Spotify

I love this halyard shanty The Wild Goose, especially this version by Kate Rusby

Back