Sandwiches

onyx(John)

Administrator
Staff member
In the earlier years the lads were regularly seen bringing food and flasks with them on their rambles.The last episode I remember this happening was in When you take a good bite Yorkshire tastes terrible.Can anyone remember this happening in episodes after this? For some reason I liked the idea of them doing this.It somehow made more of an Expedition of their travels.

In Bicycle Bonanza Foggy tell Cleggy to make sandwiches which Cleggy isn't happy about,but we don't see them eat them.

I had forgotten about that. I remember when I was young my mother use to make the hamper with sandwiches and a Flask and cake etc for our picnics in the country. My how time passes. Well I guess the characters stopped doing that because they always ended up being at the Cafe..

In the earlier years the lads were regularly seen bringing food and flasks with them on their rambles.The last episode I remember this happening was in When you take a good bite Yorkshire tastes terrible.Can anyone remember this happening in episodes after this? For some reason I liked the idea of them doing this.It somehow made more of an Expedition of their travels.

Interesting point now that you bring it up. I enjoyed seeing them doing this as well. At least the police officers did this a bit in the last decade.

In The Waist Land, the show starts with them riding their bike up to the slimming facility and Compo wanted to eat one of his sandwiches but Foggy told him no, of which they ended up selling them to the slimmers.
Does it count in the show Where There's Smoke, There's Bar-b-que when Auntie sells Cleggy the grill? It's not sandwiches, but they bought hot dogs and rolls from Ivy to make for lunch.

I had forgotten about that. I remember when I was young my mother use to make the hamper with sandwiches and a Flask and cake etc for our picnics in the country. My how time passes. Well I guess the characters stopped doing that because they always ended up being at the Cafe..

I always took sandwiches and a flask for two reasons: less opportunities to find a tea shop or cafe in the past and cost. These days can often find a tea shop and many good ones. However I just might repair my picnic hamper - the hinges made of strips of interwoven cane have broken but I can replace ....

Interesting point now that you bring it up. I enjoyed seeing them doing this as well. At least the police officers did this a bit in the last decade.

The part where the policemen were cooking on a bbq in the back of their police car was a classic the episode escapes me at the moment though :)

My husband, who worked on building sites way before cool bags and plastic wrap always had jam sandwiches which he dipped in his tea. This was because they would have been very dry by 'dinner' time.

You are not the first one this happened to. It is a matter of thinking how to solve the problem. When I took my sandwiches to school and this problem came up my mother would sprinkle some water on 2 paper napkins and wrap around the bread and them put in wax paper or whatever. The dampness kept the bread fresh.

More Handy Hints..................LOL

I guess we can assume that, although it wasn't planned for a picnic, that they ate the bananas on their way home at the end of the episode "Destiny And Six Bananas".

I always think that the picnics depended on the type of personality/generation as to the content.

The trio I can imagine just sandwiches with various fillings. (some trying to pass the fillings off as more flash than they really were, as per Foggy and the pate/potted meat)

Glenda and Barry I can imagine tuna salads, pasta salads and things like that.

The ladies picnic in the Missing Buss of Mrs Avery, I think there might have been a mixture of things, but mostly consisting of buns.

Howard of course would try to be flash, trying to impress Marina with wine ansd all the works

My husband, who worked on building sites way before cool bags and plastic wrap always had jam sandwiches which he dipped in his tea. This was because they would have been very dry by 'dinner' time.

So cool, we used to do something like that here in the states. My mom would make jelly/jam sandwiches and we would purchase milk at the school and dip them in the milk. Mainly because the bread would be all dried out and crumbling. Wow, what a memory dug up from my past!!!
We also used to have oatmeal sandwiches for breakfast. butter toast and slop oatmeal over it, a little milk and sugar, yummm!!

Back