Romance is Dead.

Pearl

Administrator
Staff member
It greaves me, it really greaves me to say this.
You can now take your loved one, for valantines Day to either Greggs ( GREGGS?? :fp:) or, wait for it...... buy the " cheapest take away meal " from B&M ( B&M ? :cry2:)

What happened??
Why is the bar so low?
Why aren't we passing on mating rituals anymore?
Is it men getting lazy or being discouraged by feminism?
Or is it woman just accepting what's being offered to quickly thus lowering the bar even further?
Romance is not only dead it's decomposed and forgotten. :13: :20:.

Pearl,

In the words of the late but not so great Michael Winner "Calm down Dear its only [a] Commercial" . Its a huge Market so these companies are trying to take a cut of it and there are pockets of the population who undoubtedly would be delighted to be wined and dined in a Greggs shop , horses for courses [and neigh sorry no that is not their speciality for the night before anyone misconstrues my use of the phrase ] :)

Pearl,

In the words of the late but not so great Michael Winner "Calm down Dear its only [a] Commercial" . Its a huge Market so these companies are trying to take a cut of it and there are pockets of the population who undoubtedly would be delighted to be wined and dined in a Greggs shop , horses for courses [and neigh sorry no that is not their speciality for the night before anyone misconstrues my use of the phrase ] :)
It's just so soul distroying that are pockets of people out there that would love to wine and dine at Greggs, It's the bar!! It's too low.

Last edited:
Truck stops and the Vans in laybys know how to brew tea and cook proper Bacon and Sausage butties at a reasonable price certainly a different class to the Plastic and extortionate Service Stations we find every forty or so miles on our Motorways . I travelled extensively with my job for a couple of years and I would never ever stop at the Services I would always look for a layby stop.

Truck stops and the Vans in laybys know how to brew tea and cook proper Bacon and Sausage butties at a reasonable price certainly a different class to the Plastic and extortionate Service Stations we find every forty or so miles on our Motorways . I travelled extensively with my job for a couple of years and I would never ever stop at the Services I would always look for a layby stop.

How true, the trick was never stop in one where the layby was empty, a good indication that the food was terrible

Layby food is good quality , fresh and reasonably priced . Service station food is lacking on so many fronts and extortionate . I accept that they offer a 24 hour service in some cases but you just would not expect to pay £4.95 for an egg and tomato sandwich made with two slices of bread [even though they have meal deals this sandwich was excluded on the day I was there] which was the price to pay at M&S Wetherby on the last southern direction Bus holiday break I took a couple of months back [ been North of the Border recently] . I imagine it is now over £5 which is just scandalous 24 hours service or not .

It's just so soul distroying that are pockets of people out there that would love to wine and dine at Greggs, It's the bar!! It's too low.

I once inadvertently said 'dregs' instead of 'Greggs'. Some of their stuff does not look appetising.

I always try to patronise local, individually run establishments.

Antonio's, Luby's, the Loft, Dalesman, Lightcliffe Team Room, Asa Nicholsons, Happy Dayz, Buffers, Abbey Tea Rooms, Cock Pit Farm, and many more in Yorkshire frequently appear on my record of dining out. For those on FB you may we;; notice that some of these places crop up very regularly ...

I once inadvertently said 'dregs' instead of 'Greggs'. Some of their stuff does not look appetising.

I always try to patronise local, individually run establishments.

Antonio's, Luby's, the Loft, Dalesman, Lightcliffe Team Room, Asa Nicholsons, Happy Dayz, Buffers, Abbey Tea Rooms, Cock Pit Farm, and many more in Yorkshire frequently appear on my record of dining out. For those on FB you may we;; notice that some of these places crop up very regularly ...

I have noticed your culinary travels Rod, I am waiting for the book to come out

Back