Radio Programmes

Big Unc

Dedicated Member
There has been the odd reference to Radio programmes lately - okay, maybe just by me. But "Take It From Here" got a recent mention and then I just quoted something from "The Navy Lark".

I admit that these days I tend to listen to the radio only when I am driving. And my listening seems to be confined to music and news broadcasts with the occasional play on Radio 4 or Any Questions.

I recall a time when almost every evening the 19:30 slot on the Light Programme was given over to a great comedy show like "Take It From Here", "Ray's A Laugh", "Educating Archie", Life With the Lyons". My faltering memory banks suggest to me that other greats were on at a different time - the aforementioned (am I allowed to use 'aforementioned' on this forum?) "The Navy Lark", "The Goons", "As Much Binding in the Marsh", later Kenneth Horne such as "Round the Horne". Sunday afternoon was a real treat with "Family Favourites" followed by "The Billy Cotton Bandshow" and then repeats of some of the 19:30 slot comedies from the previous week.

(And before anyone pulls me up, I do remember things like "Journey Into Space" sometimes took the 19:30 slot)

Does radio have anything comparable these day? I do like the occasional "Just a Minute" but that is in a different category. And there might be the odd comedy on at 18:30 on Radio 4 thoguh some of them do drop into the "sick" category which THEY attempt to palm off on us these days as wit.

There has been the odd reference to Radio programmes lately - okay, maybe just by me. But "Take It From Here" got a recent mention and then I just quoted something from "The Navy Lark".

I admit that these days I tend to listen to the radio only when I am driving. And my listening seems to be confined to music and news broadcasts with the occasional play on Radio 4 or Any Questions.

I recall a time when almost every evening the 19:30 slot on the Light Programme was given over to a great comedy show like "Take It From Here", "Ray's A Laugh", "Educating Archie", Life With the Lyons". My faltering memory banks suggest to me that other greats were on at a different time - the aforementioned (am I allowed to use 'aforementioned' on this forum?) "The Navy Lark", "The Goons", "As Much Binding in the Marsh", later Kenneth Horne such as "Round the Horne". Sunday afternoon was a real treat with "Family Favourites" followed by "The Billy Cotton Bandshow" and then repeats of some of the 19:30 slot comedies from the previous week.

(And before anyone pulls me up, I do remember things like "Journey Into Space" sometimes took the 19:30 slot)

Does radio have anything comparable these day? I do like the occasional "Just a Minute" but that is in a different category. And there might be the odd comedy on at 18:30 on Radio 4 thoguh some of them do drop into the "sick" category which THEY attempt to palm off on us these days as wit.
We are unanimous in that Big Unc!! >:(

We do get the Friday podcast of The News Quiz
with Sandy Toksvig (sp ???) and folks like Jeremy
Hardy.

We do get the Friday podcast of The News Quiz
with Sandy Toksvig (sp ???) and folks like Jeremy
Hardy.

Had a wee ponder over what "(sp ???)" meant. Decided you were querying your own spelling of "Toksvig". Congratulations, you got that right. But it is apparently "Sandi" and not "Sandy" - these dratted Scandinavians.

"The News Quiz" - again a different genre from the situation comedy type radio programmes to which I was referring.

Oh I dunno.

The humour certainly qualifies as a comedy.

And political references certainly qualifies as
"situational".

I enjoy listening to Radio4 whether it is radio plays or comedy. Great station..........

Do you remember the saucy postcard vendor, Big Unc?From ITMA, maybe? He used to say " I go, I come back" I think?

Back