other favourite comedy writers

Out of these three I like Only when I laugh the best. It was amazingly funny..

I'll be Mr.Obvious and say John Sullivan. OF&H, Dear John, Jsut Good Friends, Citizen Smith etc....and comedy writing great who will be sadly missed.

Lets not forget Ronnie Barkers writing alter ego , Gerald Wiley(some of the sketches he wrote were priceless). Talking comedy writers, my all time fave was Spike Milligan who kept THE GOONS going for so long at the cost sometimes of his own health , and then brought us the "Q " series. ;D

For me, the best writers are those whose work would also make good plays.

Eric Chappell and Ray Galton and Alan Simpson are fantastic writers.

I also admire the work of Johnny Speight, John Sullivan and Alan Plater.

My choices would be Eric Chappel,Galton and Simpson and Dick Sharples.The only John Sullivan comedy i really watched was the excellent, Only Fools and Horses.

Hector.

Benny Hill loved writing those Thames shows, and was constantly seeking perfection. He only made two or three a year, over an impressive 20 years.

He even cleaned up his act when he was criticised as being too risque. Personally I don't find his work offensive at all, when you consider the bad language and filth in today's comedies in these so-called PC times.

My only criticism of his writing is he would shamelessly recycle old sketches into new sketches - then again so did Tommy Cooper and it just got funnier.

Croft and Perry's Dad's Army is perfection and their other material is fitfully great as well.

David Renwick needs to get himself back to the sitcom format; Whoops Apocalypse and One Foot in the Grave are great favourites of mine.

Benny Hill loved writing those Thames shows, and was constantly seeking perfection. He only made two or three a year, over an impressive 20 years.

He even cleaned up his act when he was criticised as being too risque. Personally I don't find his work offensive at all, when you consider the bad language and filth in today's comedies in these so-called PC times.

My only criticism of his writing is he would shamelessly recycle old sketches into new sketches - then again so did Tommy Cooper and it just got funnier.

Many of the times, the recycled bits were done in different ways, and sometimes even funnier. The only one he redid which I don't like is the 1981 version of the "Lower Tidmash Fire Brigade", It was basically just a weak copy of the original 1970 version. But I can understand why he re-did it, as the 1970 version was shot in black and white due to a technicians strike at ITV, and the three Black and White episodes from 1970/71 were never re-aired.

Obvious choice maybe John Sullivan, he created one of the greatest comedies ever and some other great ones. But me personally i really love Craig Cash and Caroline Aherne, the Royal Family is a modern classic in my eyes, it just sums up real working class life. Denise is just my missus, daft as a brush and as thick as a plank.

Obvious choice maybe John Sullivan, he created one of the greatest comedies ever and some other great ones. But me personally i really love Craig Cash and Caroline Aherne, the Royal Family is a modern classic in my eyes, it just sums up real working class life. Denise is just my missus, daft as a brush and as thick as a plank.
hope your missus doesnt read that :)

[/quote]
hope your missus doesnt read that :)
[/quote]

I'm a brave man, but not that brave if you know what i mean ;)

Galton & Simpson
Croft & Perry, Croft & Lloyd
David Renwick
Clement & La Frenais

I think you're right about Eric Chapell C.W, he is overlooked on times in comparison with other writers but has some very accomplished shows to his name.

Back