Nora Batty's Departure and Other Random Notes

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
I am using this thread to make a few generalizing comments. I am currently watching Summer Wine from beginning to end for about the third time. Each time I miss a few episodes and I forget some details.

1. Here is one.... what is Nora's last episode? Was it Beware of the Hot Dog and she was leaving her house for Australia? That was really Kathy Staff in that clip, wasn't it? Did Kathy Staff leave due to poor health? It wasn't until a few years later that she passed away. I should know this by now.

2. My knowledge of behind the scenes Summer Wine was set back this holiday season. I had planned on using Christmas money for Vine and Bell's books, but after attending a few family functions and Jewelry for my wife and goods for my kids, I was left broke. So unfortunately for another year (or until my June birthday) I will still be one of those forum members that asking the experts here questions. I love Summer Wine and my Brit Brethren and fellow Yanks here, but family comes first!!!!!

3. Lastly, one of my Brit themed cable stations, WETA-UK, has cut back its airing of Summer Wine. Summer Wine's regular time slots have been replaced with "My Family"! Is this show any good? Regardless, it left a bad taste in my mouth for replacing Summer Wine. However, my main station, Maryland Pub. Television is still reliable on Summer Wine.

1) I believe it was Her but I am unsure if Beware of the hotdog was the last episode with Her in.
2) Keep an eye out for a cheap copy!
3) My Family is not too bad, if you like British humor then you will probably like it. Not a patch or even similar to LOTSW though, of course ;)

I am using this thread to make a few generalizing comments. I am currently watching Summer Wine from beginning to end for about the third time. Each time I miss a few episodes and I forget some details.

1. Here is one.... what is Nora's last episode? Was it Beware of the Hot Dog and she was leaving her house for Australia? That was really Kathy Staff in that clip, wasn't it? Did Kathy Staff leave due to poor health? It wasn't until a few years later that she passed away. I should know this by now.

2. My knowledge of behind the scenes Summer Wine was set back this holiday season. I had planned on using Christmas money for Vine and Bell's books, but after attending a few family functions and Jewelry for my wife and goods for my kids, I was left broke. So unfortunately for another year (or until my June birthday) I will still be one of those forum members that asking the experts here questions. I love Summer Wine and my Brit Brethren and fellow Yanks here, but family comes first!!!!!

3. Lastly, one of my Brit themed cable stations, WETA-UK, has cut back its airing of Summer Wine. Summer Wine's regular time slots have been replaced with "My Family"! Is this show any good? Regardless, it left a bad taste in my mouth for replacing Summer Wine. However, my main station, Maryland Pub. Television is still reliable on Summer Wine.

It's actually on WETA-UK at around 11:00am.

I thought Nora left (?) in 2008 and Get Out Of That was
her last episode. Wrong-o???

Correct(sort of ) It was the last episode to feature Nora due to the sad death of Kathy Staff that same year although im not sure if she was in Primrose daries cos the BBC had a tribute message to her at the end of the episode(I think)

I will try to put it as simple as possible for people, Kathy Staff left at the end of series 22 in 2001 with the episode "The Coming of the Beast", Nora was seen leaving her house and was mentioned by Clegg and Truly about going to Australia in the episode "Beware of the Hot Dog" when they said Nora had gone over to visit her sister she hadn't spoken to in years, however i'm unsure if it was Kathy who did that scene or a double but it weren't a close up shot so I would say it was a double, however her character returned in the 2002 christmas special "A Musical Passing for a Miserable Muscroft" but that episode wasn't originally due as the christmas special, "The Lair of the Cat Creature" was meant to be it so Nora was due to re-appear halfway during the series which is why after the christmas special she doesn't appear till halfway through that series in 2003, Kathy stayed with the show till 2007 but the series filmed that year wasn't shown till the middle of 2008 when a new series (series 30 with a lot of cast changes) was being filmed, unfortunately Kathy was poorly at the time the 2009 series was being filmed in 2008 so she couldn't appear, Nora was mentioned in "I Was a Hitman for Primrose Dairies" but her character never appeared in that episode and in future episode seeing Kathy died 13th December 2008 and her final episode was "Get Out of That, Then" on 31st August 2008, in series 30 Nora was mentioned a few more times, her character again had gone to Australia to look after her sister (who i mentioned earlier) over there, at that time she was still alive so Roy Clarke and Alan J W Bell must have hoped she would be well enough to re-appear in the future but it weren't meant to be.

Didn't Kathy Staff leave to star in the revival of Crossroads, and that was her real-life reason for leaving the series. The revival didn't go well, and so she decided to return to Summer Wine.

Am I right in thinking she was also unhappy with the production, or something along those lines, following on from Bill Owen's death?

yes, you are right she did go to Crossroads but the show was short lived.. She reprised her that she had liked very much..

I am not just a little confused.

Y'all keep giving reasons why Kathy left, but I think
each are giving different reasons for different leaving.s

Pretty sure her LAST leaving was due to her death (???).

Pretty sure an earlier leaving was that after Compo died,
she did not see a real use for her Nora character without
Compo.

Pretty sure I remember at least one other trip to Australia
before Compo died, but not really certain.

I am not just a little confused.

Y'all keep giving reasons why Kathy left, but I think
each are giving different reasons for different leaving.s

Pretty sure her LAST leaving was due to her death (???).

Pretty sure an earlier leaving was that after Compo died,
she did not see a real use for her Nora character without
Compo.

Pretty sure I remember at least one other trip to Australia
before Compo died, but not really certain.

Her last leaving was due to ill health as I said in my earlier post, she left earlier just after Compo died cause she felt it wasn't the same show without Bill, I have no idea why she came back but I know she slated the revived crossroads so she probably felt after that summer wine was better for her, while compo was alive she never went to Australia but her brother Billy was mentioned as being in Australia in "A Merry Heatwave"

Back