New To Me Series

LOTSW Fan

Dedicated Member
My husband was getting tired of watching the same episodes of Summer Wine and said to get some of the later ones. I said I didn't want the ones without Compo as they would be too sad to watch. He said get them anyway as he might like them. Well, I bought 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2002. We've watched 1999, 2000, and about three episodes of 2001. It is sad without Compo and I find Babs and sometimes Mrs. Avery do not belong there at all, but they aren't as bad as I thought they would be. Billy Hardcastle is funny. I just about died laughing when Waldo was run over.

Nancy

As sad as it is to have Compo gone, believe me that the entire
rest of the programs are well worth a watch.

Billy Hardcastle is wonderful. Only wish he had stayed a bit longer.

What's almost as sad is watching Clegg and Truly age.

But again, each episode is still a joy to watch. I am about
thru with this pass thru (only a few more to go), and this is I think
my third pass thru (starting each time with FOTSW). I will
start again.

Folks may dislike Hobbo or Entwhistle or Alvin, but compared to
what else is available, they are great. I will watch a SW each and
every night before bed, and nobody can stop me ! !

I forgot to mention that I was touched at how kind Truly was to Clegg after Compo's death.

P.S.
What happened to the Quick Reply tab? It is a pain to fill out the Title: tab each time I respond. Of course, I still don't know how to include quotes so I am probably doing the whole thing wrong. I think this is why I only rarely post.

I forgot to mention that I was touched at how kind Truly was to Clegg after Compo's death.

P.S.
What happened to the Quick Reply tab? It is a pain to fill out the Title: tab each time I respond. Of course, I still don't know how to include quotes so I am probably doing the whole thing wrong. I think this is why I only rarely post.
At the end of a person's statement there is on the bottom right which says 'quote with reply" which will do what I just did. :)

I love Billy Hardcastle and his love of the great outdoors. He is one of my favorites. ;D

I thought Alvin and Billy were the two characters that fitted in best after Compo and also giving Cooper and Walsh more lines.

My husband was getting tired of watching the same episodes of Summer Wine and said to get some of the later ones. I said I didn't want the ones without Compo as they would be too sad to watch. He said get them anyway as he might like them. Well, I bought 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2002. We've watched 1999, 2000, and about three episodes of 2001. It is sad without Compo and I find Babs and sometimes Mrs. Avery do not belong there at all, but they aren't as bad as I thought they would be. Billy Hardcastle is funny. I just about died laughing when Waldo was run over.

Nancy

Well to be fair, Babs and Ms. Avery were only in a few episodes. I always sort of viewed the fact that Compo ended up being replaced by many characters as a tribute to him (not one person could fill his shoes). I enjoy the post-Compo years. Yes, the "trio Concept" decreases but I like the whole collection of Barmpots.

Some gems from Compo's passing through 2001 include Missing Bus of Mrs. Avery, Hey Big Vendor, Gnome and Away, and I didn't know Barry Could Play. After Compo's passing Trully inherits a bit of an enjoyable, laid back manner even when there is chaos around him. With the increased cast, I personally think there is strength in numbers. Everyone here, including myself, loves Billy. However, I think Smiler is a great extra who doesn't get enough credit.

There were some post-Compo episodes that were well written and stood up in their own right. There were other episodes where the characters or situations just didn't fit or make sense such as almost all of the episodes with Mrs. Avery, her niece, the caravan (trailer). Also some of the later episodes in which Clegg and Truly appearance's are limited to Clegg and Truly making a few remarks to each other from behind their respective newspapers in Clegg's living room.

some of the later episodes in which Clegg and Truly appearance's are limited to Clegg and Truly making a few remarks to each other from behind their respective newspapers in Clegg's living room.

As much as I hate to see Clegg and Truly used so sparingly
and getting little or no credit, I'm not sure what else they
could have them do. Their days of roaming the moors
are over. They are well and truly (??) old. Just glad they
still have work.

Back