New Law

Pearl

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not one that usually gets exited about new laws and stuff.... Well anything really..... buuuut I'm really loving the new one that says companies that have been spamming me for years now have to get my renewed permission to carry on spamming me. Have to be honest I'm getting some hot flushes every time I ignore a request. :03:

Sounds like a great law. Is that just for the U.K.? Would love to have something like that here in the States. If the spammers will even abide by it.

I think it's a European law but don't quote me on that. Another member may know more. All I know is I'm getting emails by the bucket load.

It would be great if we could Spam the Spammers but Spamming the Spammers would make us then Spammers instead of Spamees and would frankly portray us as Luncheon Meat rather than the finest Iberico Ham we really are [sorry this sounds like the Spam song from Monty Python] :fp:

So, I can get it that this is a UK law. So Spammers need permission to spam. So are the Spammers actually going to get permission? Or is this a law that gives the Public teeth to go after the Spammers? What if the Spammers are from another country not in the EU? What recourse do you have?

So, I can get it that this is a UK law. So Spammers need permission to spam. So are the Spammers actually going to get permission? Or is this a law that gives the Public teeth to go after the Spammers? What if the Spammers are from another country not in the EU? What recourse do you have?
It's an EU law, and in it's simplest form any company or body that have your personal details (that you have purchased something from, or a group you have joined) will now HAVE to gain your permission to keep contacting you (sending unsolicited emails).

All sorts of people are begging me to sign up so they can go and continue to send me e mails I do not want; tended to ignore them! One book seller is sending them twice daily! I have an e mail address that I can check but rarely do so if they are insistent then they might get that one ....

It is a European directive and we are still part fo the EU so it applies, however those organisations based in USA do not have to comply. Not I suspect will spammers (spiced pork and ham people?) who already have been flagrantly flouting the existing data protection laws.

Well things just got interesting, I've been offered a £5 voucher for giving my permission :rolling:

I know I love a bargain but.......

Well things just got interesting, I've been offered a £5 voucher for giving my permission :rolling:

I know I love a bargain but.......
As a note, here in the US, privacy notices of all sorts are being updated DIRECTLY DUE to the updated EU regulations.

I have been getting a lot too but the emphasis is reversed! Apparantly it is ME who is urgently required to comply with the regs by updating my details!...Yeh...Right...like THAT is going to happen!!:mad::p

Back