My Daughter.

Pearl

Administrator
Staff member
My kids have always had a bit of a laugh at me for being a little obsessed with Summer Wine but today one of my daughters has been at my house looking after dad while we went shopping and then stayed for dinner, at dinner times I always put a Summer Wine because I like hearing dad laugh and the one laughing the the loudest was my daughter. Just shows you should never knock it until you've tried it.

I'm glad your younger relatives like the show even if they are not too willing to admit it. :)

I admit I was not entirely sure of the show after my first few episodes. Did not know quite what to expect upon viewing. Certainly was not used to the more casual pace after many years of Brit-Coms like Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, The Young Ones, The Pink Panther movies, Benny Hill, etc.

I had rented a few random dvd's from Netflix of LotSW before. Heard great reviews of the show. It wasn't until after I watched the disc that had the 25 year (I think) special with Roy Clark describing the show and characters did it really start to make sense. From that special I recognized Truly and Entwhistle plus Cleggy's voice from other shows I liked. After watching another dvd of LotSW I soon became a fan. So glad I gave the show another try.

Not knowing who was who or their relationships with others in the show. That special really helped flesh out the characters that already had well established backgrounds of the show I was jumping into the middle of.

Like Croft and Perry the humour of Roy Clarke comes from an era when there is a high degree of subtlety mixed with a soupcon of slapstick and pathos to give a more rounded comedy rather than the in your face and often brash humour of later writers, all of which gives it the appeal across the age ranges .

If anyone has a spare daughter mid 20s to 30s in the nwest of the uk .... ;) I've enjoyed the show since I was around 6/7 I think and at the end of this month turn 37. It's silliness back then was the primary appeal and as I grew older I got to appreciate the stronger character moments that can be quite well hidden but well worth unearthing.

If anyone has a spare daughter mid 20s to 30s in the nwest of the uk .... ;) I've enjoyed the show since I was around 6/7 I think and at the end of this month turn 37. It's silliness back then was the primary appeal and as I grew older I got to appreciate the stronger character moments that can be quite well hidden but well worth unearthing.

None spare I'm afraid, they're all taken. I have a spare son but that's a different subject all together. She's now joined our Facebook group and I've noticed her liking the odd post. Slowly slowly catchy monkey.

Back