Most unusual beak

Peripheral

Dedicated Member
I spotted this little bird in the garden many years ago. My camera at the time was not a very good one but you can see what an unusual beak this little bird had. It is a blue tit and was around in the garden for a few months.

Attachments

• Beaky 3.jpg
    Beaky 3.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Beaky 4.jpg
    Beaky 4.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 11
Looks like an abnormality which reminds me of a tragic but humorous story about a budgie we had years ago . It , like the Blue Tit , had a beak deformity and listening to the local Metro Radio one day there was a vet phone in . After 30 minutes or so he was sick of Cat and Dog stories and asked for some different calls so I rang up .

Strangely after telling him the issue the first thing he asked the budgie's name ????? [which I hadn't given the bird] so I used Bert for comic effect . His reply was " Well Bert has a deformity that might need an operation to trim the beak but what you can do is to hard boil some eggs chop the egg up and put it in a little bowl which Bert can eat [sounded close to cannibalism to me at the time bird eating a bird's egg but hey who was I to argue] . In terms of the shell if you can keep it whole as you can , put it in the cage and Bert by pecking at the shell it might help , with it being hard , to file bits off his beak."

Well I duly complied , got up next day and Bert is face down in the bowl of chopped egg , brown bread and stiff , he had choked on the chopped egg!

Sadly the Vet did not return to the show in the coming weeks otherwise I would have loved to give him an update about his so called treatment!! :mad::mad:

Thanks Rick it wasn't too upsetting to me when you went near the cage it used to peck at you anyway think it had all sorts of breeding issues aside from the beak so it was probably for the best . It marked an end for pets in my case too much hassle so so glad to be pet free!

Back